Wivenhoe Jottings concerning the period 1929 - 1931

From the research by Nicholas Butler

John Stewart

Book cover

These notes were recorded by Nick Butler when researching for his book the Story of Wivenhoe which was first published in 1989

1929 page 25, The East Goodwin light ship is now at Wivenhoe shipyard waiting to go on the slipway for overhauling.

1930 page 26. Mr.Percy J. Chaney has bought the old established business of A.H. Ellis, furnishing and general ironmonger on the corner of the High Street and Queens Road.

1930 page 29. Order made to wind up the Wivenhoe Cinema Company, there being no opposition.

1931 page 31. Local allotment holders Association formed at the British Legion Hall.  21 unemployed men applied for allotments under the government’s new scheme.

1931 page 31. The Jessie Annandale, last of the old colliers that sailed from Wivenhoe.  She was still afloat and being used by R.W. Paul of Ipswich as a grain carrier based in Harwich Harbour.  On her last trip with coal. she discharged at Wivenhoe with coal for Mr. William Bartlett, coal merchant.  Cpt Abraham Harvey said all his family had been bought up with the Jessie Annandale, she was the fastest on the coast and had never been beaten.

1931 page 32. Wivenhoe Horticultural Society 1st Show was held in the grounds of Wivenhoe Hall by kind permission of Mr. Scofield who had bought the land.  The Show was opened by Mrs. Vinning of the Nook.

1931 page 32. For 55 years Mr. Dick Ham has been in charge of ringing the funeral bell at the Church.

1931 page 33. Sprats.  150 tons were landed.  They were dumped for use as manure as there there had been no buyers at 6d a bushel.

1932 page 35.  Wivenhoe Athletic Football Club first AGM was held at the Park Hotel, being formed by the employees of the Wivenhoe Sand and Ballast Company wit the the permission of Mr, W.G. Loveless.

1932 dec 3rd  Page 37

the North sea canning company was opened by Lewis Worsp at the end of the Quay near Wivenhoe Shipyard.

1933, page 38.  Four tenders have been submitted for the erection of a chapel in the new cementery grounds The one for  £215.00 was accepted.

1933 page 41.  The death of Captain William Mason.  Another of the old yachting Captains.  sailed in the late Bayard Brown’s yacht Lady Torfrida at a time when Captain William Trayler was in charge.

1933 page 41.  Befor leaving Cowes, after the recent racing the King presented Captain Albert Turner which has met with such remarkable success this year with a handsome solid silver cream jug ,sugar basin and tongs, with inscription and momogram of his Majesty.  The gift matches the teapot presented to Captain Turner after the racing in 1932.

1933. page 42.  Skeleton found at Wivenhoe : in a pit belonging to the Wivenhoe Sand and Ballast Company in a lane leading to Alresford.  It’s finding has revived the story of a sailor said to have been murdered there in the 1840’s , hence the name Cuthoat Lane.

!934 page 43.  nos.1-8 Sun Yard , and a house in brook Street and one in East Street unfit for human habitation and should be demolished.

 

 

 

 

 

This page was added on 22/12/2017.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Share this
Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterPin on PinterestShare on Google+Email this to someone