Kelly's Directory 1917

Transcript of the entry for Wivenhoe by Sue Glasspool

Sue Glasspool

A copy of Kelly's Directory of around 1917

Kelly’s Directory of Essex 1917 pp.658-660

 

Transcription by Sue Glasspool.

 

WIVENHOE (or Wyvenhoe) is a parish, on a gentle declivity of the Colne, 4 miles south-east from Colchester and 57 1/4 from London, with a station on the Tendring Hundred branch of the Great Eastern railway, from which a line extends to Brightlingsea, 5 miles distant, and another to Clacton-on-Sea, 12 miles distant, and to Walton-on-the-Naze, 15 miles distant. Wivenhoe is in the North Eastern division of the county, Colchester division of Lexden hundred, Lexden and Winstree petty sessional division and union, Colchester, Clacton, Harwich and Halstead joint county court district, rural deanery and archdeaconry of Colchester and Chelmsford diocese. Wivenhoe also forms, with Brightlingsea and Rowhedge, a member of the Cinque Port of Sandwich of Kent. There is a good quay and the population is largely engaged in shipbuilding. The town is lighted with gas by a company and supplied with water from works the property of the Urban District Council; the water is obtained from an artesian well, and a water tower, with a capacity of 50,000 gallons, was erected in 1901. The parish is governed by an Urban District Council of nine members, formed in 1898, under the provisions of the “Local Government Act, 1894” (56 and 57 Vict, ch. 73) The church of St Mary the Virgin is a building of stone, consisting of chancel with south aisle, nave of four bays, aisles, north and south porches and an embattled western tower with clock and 6 bells ( recast in 1905 at a cost of £276), and was restored in the year 1860 at an expenditure of about £3,000; in the church are brasses in good preservation to Sir Thomas Westerley, priest, chaplain to the Countess of Oxford. Ob. 5 Feb, 1535, with effigy, vested, and bearing a chalice and wafer; another of Flemish work to William, 2nd Viscount Beaumont and titular Baron Bardolf, with effigy in armour, and triple and super-canopy and a marginal inscription, ob. 1507; the third is to Elizabeth (Scroope) second wife of John de Vere, 14th Earl of Oxford, and widow of William Beaumont, ob. 1537, and exhibits her effigy with coronet and heraldic mantle, triple and super-canopy and marginal inscription, both much mutilated; in the vestry is a chest of Flemish workmanship, highly embossed and studded with nails; this church suffered considerable damage by the shock of an earthquake 22 April, 1884. The register of baptisms dates from 1566; burials and marriages, 1560. The living is a rectory, net yearly value £300, with 60 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of Mrs Egerton-Green, and held since 1890 by the Rev. John Robert Sinclair Carolin M.A. of Trinity College, Dublin. The Congregational chapel, erected in 1840 by Mr Thomas Sanford, at a cost of £2,400, is endowed with a sum of £500, left by the late Miss Mary Ann Sanford, and has Sunday schools, erected in 1874, by Mr John Sanford. There is also a Wesleyan chapel, built in 1901, and a large Foresters’ Hall, built in 1904. The cemetery, about half a mile from the church, comprises 5 acres, and is under the control of the Urban Council. Wivenhoe Reading Club is managed by a committee of 6 seamen and 6 landsmen and is open from 9.30am to 10pm; Sundays, 2 till 5pm. A fair used to be held on the 4th of September yearly. Ship and yacht building is carried on here, and a new graving dock, 205 feet long, was constructed in 1888. A sum of £5,000 was left by the late Miss Mary Ann Sanford, for building and endowing six almshouses for six widows or spinsters of 60 years old and upwards, resident in the parish, preference being given to the widows of seamen; each inmate receives 6s. per week. A further endowment of £500 was made by Mrs Kezia Hines, sister of the foundress, for the repair of the almshouses. The charities for distribution amount to about £21 yearly. Wyvenhoe Park, the property and residence of Charles Edmund Gooch esq. J.P. is about a mile and a half from the village; the mansion, a modern building, received considerable damage by the shock of earthquake mentioned above; the park is undulating, well timbered, stocked with deer and contains about 180 acres. At the Domesday Survey the manor of Wivenhoe was held by Robert Gernon as part of his barony of Stansted Mountfichet; from 1300 to 1400 it was held by the Sutton family, and in the 15th and 16th centuries held by that of De Vere, Earls of Oxford, and was sold in 1657 by Aubrey, 19th earl K.G. to Nicholas Corsellis, whose family was long seated at Wivenhoe Hall, a fine old mansion with pleasant grounds of about 200 acres, on the north-west side of the village, and at present the property and residence of Alexander K. Barlow, esq. J.P. George F. Beaumont, esq. of Coggeshall, is lord of the manor. The principal owners of the land are C.E. Gooch, esq. and A.K. Barlow.esq. J.P. The soil is light; subsoil gravel. The chief crops are wheat, oats, barley and roots. The area of the civil parish and the Urban District is 1,562 acres of land, 2 of inland and 7 of tidal water and 33 of foreshore; assessable value, £7,979; the population in 1911 was 2,375 in the civil and 2,251 in the ecclesiastical parish.

Post, M.O.T. & Telephone Call Office – Thomas William Goodwin, sub-postmaster. Letters from Colchester

Town Sub-Post Office, Wivenhoe Cross- Mrs Elizabeth Wade, sub-postmistress

Wall Boxes –Station, Black Buoy & The Avenue

URBAN DISTRICT COUNCIL

Meets at the Council offices, High Street, on 2nd Monday in every month, at 6 p.m.

Members:

Chairman, Arthur Vinson

Vice-Chairman, Herbert Leslie Wright

John Augustus Fale, William Hook, John Perry, Arthur Henry Seymour, Edward Herbert Squire, Stacey Wood, John Worsp

Clerk, Chas. Wm. Denton, 8 East Stockwell st, Colchester

Treasurer, Major Nevill Arthur Charles de Hirzel Tufnell, J.P. The Old Bank, Colchester

Medical Officer of Health. Graham Travers Kevern M.R.C.S.Eng, L.R.C.P.Lond, Rowhedge

Surveyor & Sanitary Inspector, Robert Hugh Barrell

Rate Collector, Thomas William Goodwin, Post Office

Waterworks Engineer & Water Rent Collector, Josiah Mallett

PUBLIC ESTABLISHMENTS

Cemetery, T.W. Goodwin, Clerk to the Burial Board

County Police, Edgar Richard Pryke, Bellevue Road, Sergeant in charge

Foresters Hall, Arthur E. Cuthbert, sec

Shipwrecked Fishermen & Mariners Royal Benevolent Society; Hon. Representative, Stacey Wood

PUBLIC OFFICERS

Medical Officer & Public Vaccinator, 2nd District, Lexden & Winstree Union and Medical Officer, Part of No.5 (El[m]stead) District, Tendring Union, Edward Herbt Squire M.R.C.S.Eng

Deputy Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages, Peldon sub-district, Harold Goodwin

Town Crier, S. William Currell

——

Public Elementary School (boys, girls & infants) for 276 boys, 232 girls & 198 infants; William Thomas Wadley, master; Mrs. Wright, mistress; Miss Emily Kent, infants’ mistress

Railway Station, Edwin Douse, station master

Carriers to Colchester- William B. Cole, to “Swan” daily, thurs excepted; Robert Wyatt, to “Castle”, daily, thurs excepted

PRIVATE RESIDENTS

Baker Hector Brough, Aline Villas

Barlow Alex.K.,J.P. Wivenhoe Hall

Carolin Rev. John Robert Sinclair M.A., Rectory

Chapman Edgar, Fern Lea

Duncan George Colville, Hillside

Ellis Charles Albert

Fleming Andrew Chalmers, High St

Gooch, Chas Edmd, J.P., Wyvenhoe Park

Goodwin Mrs E.A. Elaine House

Head William, Oakleigh, High Street

Husk James, jun. Beau-Site

Jennings Miss, Gurney Vale

Laws Mrs, Alexandra House

Perry John, Fernbank

Rice Harry Oliver, The Nook

Sargeant Hedley, Bromley House

Seymour Arthur Henry, Leigh House

Squire Edward Herbert, Colne House

Squire Miss, The Limes

Tapling Alfred John Barton

Trayler Gerald William, The Cottage

Trayler Mrs. J. The Hollies

Turner Arthur George, Aline villas

Tyler Rev. William Franklin (Congregational). Avenue Villas

Wadley William, J.P., Avenue Villas

Worsp Jn. The Moorings, Bellevue Road

COMMERCIAL

Early closing day, Thursday

Adams Robert, shopkeeper

Barclays Bank Limited (sub-branch) (open fri.11a.m. to 1 p.m.) draw on head office, 54 Lombard street, London E C

Barr Benjamin Archer, Falcon P.H.

Barr Blanche (Mrs.), shopkeeper

Barrell Benjamin B. & Martin, builders, Rectory Road

Barrell Robt. Hugh, builder, surveyor & sanitary inspector to the Urban District Council, Rectory Road

Barrett Rosa (Mrs.), confectioner

Bartlett William & Sons, oyster mers

Beckwith Asa, dairy

Beckwith Hannah (Miss), shopkeeper

Bird Annie (Mrs.), shopkeeper

Bishop Henry Edwin, beer retailer

Brown Joseph George, jun. Hair drssr

Brown Jsph. Geo. Rose & Crown P.H.

Brunning Alice (Mrs.), shopkeeper

Canham John, boot repairer

Cemetery (Thomas William Goodwin, clerk to the burial board)

Chamberlain Thomas, Flag P.H. Wivenhoe Cross

Chapman Edgar & Daniel, builders

Child Harry & Charles, plumbers

Cockrell Leonard Charles, master mariner, Bellevue road

Colchester Co-operative Reading Rooms & Library (branch)

Colchester & East Essex Co-operative & Industrial Society Ltd. (branch)

Cole Annie E. (Mrs.), draper

Cole William B., carrier

Corbel, Frank, wholesale clothing manufacturer, Wivenhoe Cross

Cracknell, Ernest James, baker

Culley William Easter, Horse & Groom P.H. Wivenhoe Cross

Cuthbert Arthur Edward, Yachtsman’s Arms P.H.

Dodson Leonard, butcher

Everett William, farmer, Tye farm (letters through Elmstead)

Fale John, fishmonger, Anchor hill

Fleming Andrew Chalmers L.R.C.P. & S.Edin., L.R.F.P.S. Glas. physician & surgeon, High street

Flux Grace (Mrs.), shopkeeper

Ford John, boot repr. Wivenhoe Cross

Foresters’ Hall (Arthur E. Cuthbert, sec)

Franks Edwin (Mrs.), baker

Garnham Jas Herbt. farmr. Lodge Farm

Garrett Arthur, draper

Glozier Tilford Henry, hair dresser

Goodwin John Arthur Fredk. (exors. of), builders

Goodwin Harold, deputy registrar of births, marriages & deaths, Peldon sub-dist. Lexden & Winstree union

Goodwin Mosley, shopkeeper

Goodwin Thomas William, stationer, assistant overseer & collector of rates to the Urban District Council, Post office

Green Emma (Mrs.), fishmonger

Hadley James Leonard, boot repairer

Hadley Joseph, master mariner, Bellevue Road

Ham Dick, builder

Harvey Abraham, master mariner

Head Miss Daisie, teacher of pianoforte

Heath James, farmer, Cross farm & oyster merchant, Quayside

Hillyard George, beer retailer

Husk James, boat builder

Jackson Edward, insurance agent

James William Harry, blacksmith, Wivenhoe Cross

Johnson William Henry, farmer

Joliffe Walter, jobmaster

Kevern Grahame Travers M.R.C.S. Eng., L.R.C.P.Lond., physician & surgeon, High street (attends daily 5 p.m.)

King Brothers, butchers

Last William, baker

Lee William F. Greyhound P.H.

Madder William & Co. sail makers

Maling Thomas William, clothier

Mason James, master mariner

Mason Robert James, master mariner

Masonic Hall (2477, Colne Valley) (Dick Ham, sec), meets 2nd tues. from Oct. to April, The Avenue

Mason Wm. Edward, Grosvenor Hotel

Moore James & Son, grocers

Mortlock Chas. William, miller (oil)

Nicholls Joseph, greengrocer

Norfolk George, butcher

Nottage Institute (William Wadley hon.sec)

Oakley Henry Richard, master mariner, Bellevue Road

Parr’s Bank Limited (branch) (open 12 till 1.30 wed); draw on head office, Bartholomew la. London E C

Payne Frederick Charles, shopkeeper

Porter Alfred, Park Hotel

Porter Roger Geo. insur. agt. Stanley Road

Powell Thomas, Station Hotel

Proctor Isabel (Miss), ladies’ school, Trinity House

Pryke Golden Boxley, farmer, Blossomwood (letters through Elmstead)

Rennie Forrestt Shipbuilding, Engineering & Dry Dock Co. Limited (G. Bostock, sec.) ship builders

Roberston Frederick Chas. insurance agent, Wivenhoe Cross

Sainty Charles, Black Buoy P.H.

Scofield Charles G. painter

Scollick Martha (Mrs.), shopkeeper

Slaughter Louis, shopkeeper

Smith Frank William, plumber

Squire Edward Herbt. M.R.C.S. Eng., L.S.A. physician & surgeon, & medical officer, Elmstead district, Tendring union & medical officer & public vaccinator for 2nd district, Lexden & Winstree Union, Colne House

Stebbing George, grocer

Steward Honor (Miss), confectioner

Tapling Alfred John Barton, barrister-at-law, Wrawby House; & 8 Stone buildings, Lincoln’s inn, London E C

Taylor Bellman (Miss), teacher of music

Urban District Water Works (Josiah Mallett, engineer & collector of water rent)

Wade Elizabeth (Mrs.), confectioner, Post office, Wivenhoe Cross

Walker Eliza (Mrs.), drug stores

Warner Alfred Wm. coal merchant

Warren Minnie (Mrs.), wardrobe dlr

Watsham Frederick, farmer, Vine Farm

Wilby Henry Charles, assistant insurance supt. High Street

Wivenhoe Gas Co. (A.W. Green, Sudbury, sec)

Wivenhoe Reading Club (Arthur Goodwin, sec)

Wood Stacey, grocer

Wyatt Robt. carrier, Wivenhoe Cross

Wyatt Wm. coal dlr, Wivenhoe Cross

Wyncoll Thos. Edwd. frmr. Park Farm

 

This page was added on 02/11/2017.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Share this
Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterPin on PinterestShare on Google+Email this to someone