The Greyhound Public House
60 – 62 The High Street
High Street Research Team
Licensed in 1817, the Greyhound was one of the many public houses in Wivenhoe at this time; the publican was William F. Lee. The building is nationally listed as the back section in part of a row of cottages,thought to be18C. These cottages still exist as Nos 64 High St and 2 Queens Road.
The pub was tied to Daniell & Son, the Colchester brewer. A Daniell’s ledger book covering all their pubs, held at the Essex Record Office, reveals that the tied rent was £20, reduced from £30. Trade for 1925 was 151 bulk barrels, 40 bottle barrels and 60 gallons of wine and spirits.
On the ground floor the pub consisted of a public bar, smoke room, living room, kitchen and jugslip. A slip was a passage way so was the ‘jugslip’ where the jugs were stored that customers used for ale that they wanted to consume at home. Upstairs was a club room (not used), 3 bedrooms and a bathroom. At the top was an attic and boxroom. Outside was a yard, small garden and stables (not used).
Next to the pub, where the tree is in the picture, was the shop of King Brothers, the butcher.
To return to the High Street Trail Index – click here
- Kay, Peter. Wivenhoe Pubs. 2003
- Essex Record Office D/F 129/5/2;
- Kelly’s Directory of Essex 1917 and 1922