Nos. 124 (Fernbank) and 126 (Westcott)
Where Wivenhoe Bowls Club started in 1926
High Street Research Team
A pair of elegant houses built circa 1870. Harry Hook JP, a member (and at one time Chairman) of the Wivenhoe Urban District Council, lived at Fernbank in 1918. At this time the garden stretched back to Park Road and in it was a bowling green. Keen bowlers played there, forming the Wivenhoe Bowls Club in 1926. The Club moved to its present site, off De Vere Road, in 1934.
Henry Charles Wilby, an assistant insurance superintendent lived at Westcott.
These houses appear on the Wivenhoe Local List of Heritage Assets- see the list here
To return to the High Street Trail Index, click here
- Wivenhoe Local List
- Journey Through Wivenhoe DVD
- 1919 Electoral roll
- Brightlingsea and Wivenhoe Chronicle April 2016