50 The High Street
High Street Research Team
Barclays Bank is in the centre of the photo.
In 1917, the Kellys trade directory for Wivenhoe listed the following:
“Barclays Bank Limited (sub-branch) (open Fri.11a.m. to 1 p.m.) draw on head office, 54 Lombard Street, London E C”
Look at the post boxes in front of the current Wyvern Stores. This was the building which was once Barclays Bank.
The ‘Laurel and Hardy’ Post Boxes
These red post boxes were christened by the locals as ‘Laurel & Hardy’, as one was fat and the other was thin, like the famous comedy double act.
This photograph (on the right) shows them in their previous location outside the old post office at 68 The High Street, on the corner of Queen’s Road.
These Elizabeth II boxes are now located outside the current Wyvern Stores and Post Office, once Barclays Bank. They were moved there in 1996.
The oldest post box in Wivenhoe is the Victorian one, on Black Buoy Hill.