Wivenhoe's first almshouses were built in Rebow Road by Mary Ann Sanford in 1873. Who was she and who were the first residents?
The building of the Almshouses in 1873
They were a significant family in Wivenhoe from the mid 1700s to the late 1800s.
Article written by John Leather - From the Essex County Standard. 28 April 1961
Berkley Sainty, grandson of Philip Sainty