Wivenhoe's first almshouses were built in Rebow Road by Mary Ann Sanford in 1873. Who was she and who were the first residents?
The building of the Almshouses in 1873
They were a significant family in Wivenhoe from the mid 1700s to the late 1800s.
Chelmsford Chronicle Newspaper Report in 1873
Eventually a resident of the Mary Ann Sanford almshouses
The Sanford family leave their mark for future generations in Wivenhoe
Widow of William Hines of Wivenhoe who died on 21 September 1866