The Jessie Annandale was a wooden brigantine of 127 gross registered tons, her figurehead was a woman’s bust which no doubt depicted the lady after whom she had been named. She had been built, like so many vessels of her type, at Sunderland, and was completed in August 1857 by shipbuilders Brown & Johnson. In 1866 she was sold to Abraham Harvey, her master, who bought 48/64 shares, and James Husk the shipbuilder, who had the other 16/64s, both of her new owners lived in Wivenhoe, and she was transferred to the Colchester Register. In April 1893 she was sold, but remained on the Colchester Register until January 1909 when the registry was finally closed as her owners reported that the vessel had been ‛dismantled’ (masts and rigging removed) for use as a storage hulk.
The Jessie Annandale was the last Wivenhoe-owned square rigger to trade, she was widely acclaimed to have been the fastest vessel on the coast. Her portrait, showing her off the South Coast, hangs in the main room of the Nottage, unfortunately the name of the artist is unknown. The painting was presented to the Nottage by Abraham and Horace Harvey, two of Abraham Harvey’s sons on 20th April 1931.