Lt Commander Leonard Charles Cockrell, Master Mariner in the early 1900s

He served in the Royal Naval Reserve in WW1, was awarded the DSO and commanded the SY Vanessa

Page created by Peter Hill with information supplied by Colin Fincham

Lieutenant Commander Leonard Cockrell
Picture loaned by Colin Fincham
The DSO awarded to Lieutenant Commander Leonard Cockrell in 1917
Picture provided by Colin Fincham
A drawing of Leonard Cockrell done in 1937
Loaned by Colin Fincham
Map of West Coast of Scotland
The steam yacht Vanessa in the Colne before WW1.
Nottage Maritime Institute 00473
Miss Sheilah Robarts, Leonard Cockrell's granddaughter, launching The Leonard Cockrell on 19th July 1958 in honour of Leonard Cockrell of Wivenhoe
Picture loaned by Colin Fincham
Sheilah Robarts, Leonard Cockrell's grandaughter, receiving a canteen of cutlery after naming and launching the trawler 'Leonard Cockrell' at the yard of Richards Ironworks in Lowestoft on 19th July 1958.
Picture loaned by Colin Fincham
The trawler Leonard Cockrell
Photo owned by K. Kent

Captain Leonard Charles Cockrell lived in Belle Vue Road, Wivenhoe.  At the start of WW1 he found himself in charge of a fleet of steam trawlers and other vessels which had been commandeered by the Admiralty in 1914 to patrol the waters around the many islands off the West Coast of Scotland looking for submarines and mines, and checking on all shipping and trawler movements in those waters.

His log of that time has been transcribed by his great grandson, Colin Fincham, and is set out below.

Leonard Cockrell joined the Royal Naval Reserves on 24th October 1914 as a Sub-Lieutenant, but, according to the first entry in his log, dated 21st January 1915, he was promoted on that date to the rank Lieutenant Commander and given a number of steam trawlers and other vessels to command, including the SY Vanessa from Wivenhoe.  To read Leonard Cockrell’s log book see below; to know more about Leonard Cockrell and his life click here.

This log gives a fascinating account of the appalling weather conditions he and the crews of the other vessels experienced during the six month period which Colin Fincham has so far transcribed. And in this six month period, Leonard Cockrell only has one ten-day period of shore leave back in Wivenhoe.

The Log of Lieutenant Commander Leonard Cockrell from 21st January 1915

Please note that gaps in the entries below indicates that Colin Fincham couldn’t read the word that Leonard Cockrell had written.  For more information about the SY Vanessa – click here – and for more information about the ST Lily Milling and to see a picture of her, click here

January 21st 1915 – Thursday

Aultbea (Note: Aultbea is a small fishing village in the North-West Highlands of Scotland)
Admiral Le Marchant gave sailing orders to trawler leader of Lily Melling to take Vesta and Barnsley mine searching to the North on 22nd, staying night in Loch Laxford and returning mine searching outside their Northern track on 23rd returning to Aultbea.
Self promoted to Lieutenant Commander by telegram and to command Vanessa and her trawlers.
Left Aultbea at 10.30 a.m. for Mallaig. Anchored at Inverie Bay at 5 p.m. Northerly wind. Considered Mallaig not nice for night.
Wind Nly .6 snowing.

January 22nd. Friday

Inverie, Mallaig and Kyle of Lochalsh. (Cromaty)

Left Inverie at 10. Proceed to Malliag. Admiral Le Marchant had all hands aft and said goodbye to them. Handed command over to me
1.40 Admiral le Marchant left by train for London.
2.20 Left Mallaig. Stong NNW wind,hail and rain.
4.30 Anchored Kyle, went on board launch and paid my respects to Capt Edwards.
Wired arrival to Rear Admiral Stornoway.

January 23rd  Saturday
Fine and clear Light Nly wind.
7.30  Left Kyle
10.30  Aultbea. Sheelah only passed en route.
1.00 p.m.  Orders R.A. Aultbea to prepare to take injured man to Stornoway
1.30 p.m.  Cancelled.
4.00 p.m.  Trawlers Lily Melling, Vesta and Barnsley arrived from mine searching. Leader reports having carried out orders and seen nothing.
5.00 p.m.  Orders by R.A. Aultbea to send one trawler to patrol entrance of Loch Ewe. Sent Vesta . She left 6 p.m.
10.00 p.m. Ordered take injured man to Stornoway. Took him on board at 10.45, underway at 11.15 p.m. when telegram arrived from R.A. Stornoway ordering me patrolling for submarine.
Decoded same and decided to inform R.A Aultbea and give trawlers instructions. R.A. telegraphed R.A. Midnight awaiting reply.

January 24th. Sunday

Fine and clear Light breeze
1.00 a.m. orders came off proceed Stornoway. Had trawler leader on board and gave him orders. Sailed at 1.55 arrived at 5.00 a.m.
Landed injured man to hospital. Saw R.A. at 10.30 and again at 0.30 a.m, given order to return to my district B. Left Stornoway at 1.30, picked up my trawler off Rudha re and proceeded to anchorage at Aultbea. 6.00p.m. went ashore to report my arrival. Admiral not there.
Commander Goldfinch very rude. Returned on board. Received written apology from him.
Sailing orders to trawlers.

January 25th – Monday

7.30  Left with trawlers Lily Melling and Vesta and proceeded out to search for floating mines in traced area. Patrolled as per log traced area (District B) to a line 58.14 N  5.40 W and 58.19 N 5.52 . Proceed with trawlers to Loch Inver arrived at 4.40 pm. Reported arrival to R.A. Stornoway at 9.00 asking if any men with 2nd hands certificate on board trawler . Went on board and found one but a bad character could not be recommended. Wired this. Received wire from R.A Stornoway to return to Aultbea tomorrow morning. Heard on shore today that Bluecher sunk. Two big German cruisers seriously damaged. Good.

January 26th – Tuesday

Fine . Sailed at 7.30
Lily Melling reports man sick, chief engineer. Doctor will see him at Aultbea.
Line ahead.  Lily Melling playing fool. Vesta doing well. Line abreast going out of port. Lily Melling still playing the fool.
Arrived at Aultbea 11.40. Reported to R.A. Stornoway per wireless to R.A.Aultbea personally. Ordered to patrol Loch. Sent Lily Melling to relieve Barnsley . Lily Melling had E.R.defect and could not start until 2.45. Commander Goldfinch still insulting. Vesta to patrol entrance at 4.00 p.m. Vanessa to anchor S side of entrance at 4.30. Steam main engine and search light ready. H.M.S. Natal in Aultbea.
Fine night – moonlight
6.00 signal to fire rocket if anything seen suspicious.

January 27th – Wednesday

Fine. Weighed at 7a.m.
Went in patrol with Vesta at entrance H.M.S Natal passed out so proceeded to harbour. Lily Melling anchored there at 8.30, was anchored there at 9.00 Vesta ordered in by signal. Arrived 11.00.
R.A. Aultbea instructed men to cease patrol but no orders that he has finished with me.
Vesta very good with signals. Lily Melling not. Two reported by wireless to R.A. Stornoway what part of area been searched. Hear later that should not report by wireless.
6.00 called at Aultbea Hotel Admiral has finished with me and am at liberty to carry out my orders.
8.30 Signal from R.A. Aultbea saying R.A. Stornoway orders me to remain until I get further instructions.

January 28th – Thursday

At Loch Ewe. ( Ross Cromarty ) Fine throughout. Light breeze.
9.00 a.m. Barnsley arrived and delivered sailing orders for Stornoway when relieved by Calanther.
2.30 p.m. Sent trawlers Vesta and Barnsley off under charge of Lily Melling.
2.45 p.m. Went to Cal anther ( ? ) , passed over to him and was relieved of district B.
3.00 p.m. Left Aultbea.
3.30 p.m. Was stopped by signal station to wait and pick up a passenger.
4.00 p.m. Motor boat landed a passenger on board, parson for Stornoway.
4.20 p.m. Rudhare abeam.
6.30 p.m. Sighted trawlers. Lily Melling with two red lights, having broken down. Ordered Barnsley to tow her in, following closely astern of us. Vesta to go ahead into harbour. Arrived in harbour at 7.45p.m. Lily Melling anchoring in berth. Middle of harbour. Think Lily Melling been playing the fool again. Trawlers much North of their proper course when I found them.

January 29th – Friday.

At Stornoway. Fine light breeze and calm.
7.30 a.m. Lily Melling to pier for machinery repairs and boiler cleaning. Towed by Vesta.
10.00 a.m. On shore to see admiral.
11.00 a.m. Franco (?) for repairs to Vesta.
3.00 p.m. On shore for a walk.
5.00 p.m. Vesta to guard harbour with Lieut. On board.
6.15 p.m. Big fire ashore, curing houses.

January 30th – Saturday.

Stornoway. To sea.
A.m. Fine. P.m Dirty, much wind and rain.
5.45. Orders to take Barnsley and go to Tiupan head, patrol off there and return by 9 leaving Barnsley to look for Dutch motor schooner. Returned to port at 10 a.m. 11 o’clock left again. Patrol Minch for cruisers around merchant ships to divert Barnsley and Vesta with me, much wind and sea, several vessels stopped as per log.
5.30 Ordered in, arrived 8 o’clock. (Eilean Glas/South Harris)
10.00 Left again for Glas island with Orlando and to pick up Calliope, Lacerta, Cardiff Castle ,Natal ,Bellinia and Cormorant. To patrol Minch for submarines. Tried to send signal to Rhonna for R.A. No good, their signalman cracked. Could not get him by wireless, so wirelesses Manch. Much finer 9 knots. Orlando keeping up well.
11.30 Spoke Westville H.M. Collier. She saw mine yesterday E by SE S from Barra head. Reported same by wireless (Eilean Glas)

January 31st – Sunday

Fine throughout.
2 A.M, Got patrol under way, found them (north of Skye) all six between Hqeir miring and Glos island. Sent three to Eilean Troday under Lieut Going. Nothing exciting during night.
9 A.M. Sent Calliepe to find and destroy mine reported last night. Lieut. Willis in charge of Trouday side, looking at him occasionally.
Cormorant reports check valve wrong. Sent engineer on board. He advises sending her to Stornoway. Submitting to R.A. that she be replaced. Lieut spoke to Orlando at Trodday, enquired for Lacerta, had not seen her since 5.30 P.M.  I could not find her.

February 1st – Monday.

Thick with rain in early morning. Thick misty fog in banks during forenoon P.M wind increasing to gale from S.W. thick with heavy rain. Spoke to several steamers One which I did not like at 7.45 a.m , too much sea to board, name in       . Had been steaming across line all night and at 7.45 left Scalpay Light and proceeded to Trodday found Orlando and enquired for Lacerta, had not seen her. Wired R.A. 9.30 found Lacerta and had C.C. on board and talked to him strongly Says he was here all night but he wasn’t .
R.A. wires Vesta could not find me at Scalpay. So proceeded over eventually find Vesta at anchor in Tarbert. Order her to relieve Lacerta then go to go for the mine tomorrow morning at 4 p.m. and to the line to patrol. Bad weather, strong gale. Found Vesta at midnight, thick with rain. Gave her orders to stay and search for mine.

February 2nd – Tuesday

On patrol. Commences wind 10, squall heavier, S.W. thick with rain. Cruising between Trodday and along line. Sight Natal and Cardiff Castle but cannot see Bellinia. At 7.45 off Trodday. Orlando and Vesta patrolling. Proceeded to Scalpay. Sighted Cardiff Castle and Natal on patrol, ordered former to Tarbert to replenish food, taking her place myself in patrol. 2pm weather very bad indeed, sea like a cliff. Natal making very bad weather, no traffic, so ordered her into Tarbert and also
Cardiff Castle who was just arriving. Told Cardiff Castle to send wire to Rear Admiral Stornoway on arrival, went myself to Trodday, picked up other trawlers who were anchored under land, also Bellinia, all through stress of weather, ordered them to follow me to Staffin Bay and anchor. Much wind.

February 3rd  – Wednesday

Staffin Bay and Kyle. (East coast Skye) – Thought wind had eased and got one anchor and ready to go on patrol. Wind suddenly increased to hurricane force, paid out more cable, ordered Bellinia to Portree. He could not go so dropped launch and gave emergency provisions. 3pm orders from Rear Adniral to land Lieut. Wooding at Kyle. Under weigh. Very dirty passage and arrived at 9.30. Anchored at Kyle. Wind force 11. Could not send telegram ashore, not fit to lower boat at all. Midnight. Wind Hurricane force.

February 4th – Thursday

At Kyle and to Staffin Bay. A.m. Gale continues. 7.30 away launch to land telegram at Kyleakin. 9.00 Chief officer with fireman Wilkinson to the doctor, had to wire Broadford for doctor. 10.00 landed Wooding and went on board Lorna. Reported about a Stornoway cable breaking down and said I would wireless everything from Stornoway to him or Rhouma. Capt Edwards very nice sort. I am sorry Wooding going. 1.10 fireman coming off from doctor, reported cystitis rather bad. Sailed 1.10. Lorna about 4 miles ahead. Proceeded by Inner passage to Staffin Bay, found trawlers there, decided to remain till daylight as gale still blowing S.S.W. Trawler Vesta signals wind here last night 70 miles per hour.

February 5th – Friday

Patrol Shaint (?) Beat. Finer but still bad weather. 6.00 under weigh with trawlers astern. Left Vesta and Orlando at Trodday beat. Bellinia to follow me to Tarbert for provisions. 9.30 at Tarbert. Ordered Natal and Cardiff Castle to go on patrol. Bellinia came in and got permit for £5 worth of stores from me. Left at 11a.m. saw Dragon and Edison. Signalled them to come in and speak to me. Gave them orders. Bellinia sent to Stornoway. 3.30 sent chief officer on board Swedish s/p Portos. Don’t like report of her. ?  To Baltimore, no reason for being in Minch. Follow her hoping to get a reply to my wireless about her till 5.00 p.m. Getting out of wireless touch to stop her. 5.30 strong smell of paraffin. 6 p.m. Orders to take her to Stornoway. Edison cannot keep up so take her myself. Arrive off Stornoway at 11.00 p.m. Dodge with steamer awaiting pilot. Portos had to keep in position. Wants to get on rocks I think.

February 6th – Saturday

At sea and Stonoway. Pilot and Customs get on board Portos and I follow her in 10.00 a.m. to pier for f.w. Bibby joined. See Admiral at 10.30.  11.00 a.m. Portos sails. Goes S. in contradiction to Admiral’s orders so Lorna is sent to bring her back. She arrives back at 3.30 p.m. Much mail received. Sleep required-which is taken. Vessel at anchor. Blowing strong S.E. wind.

February 7th – Sunday

At Stornoway. Moderate S.E. gale nasty sea Admiral sent note off. Requires to know quantity of coal on board, reply verbally 22 tons. Must be ready for sea at short notice. Write all day, squared everything up. Evening very bad weather S.E. gale, much rain, nasty swell in harbour.

February 8th – Monday

Commenced calm. Went alongside Divis for coal at 9.30 completed at 5 p.m. 60 tons. Wilkinson fireman getting better. Went to anchorage at 5.15. 2 anchors 2 shackles each. Evening wet and dirty. Wind S.S.E. fresh.

February 9th – Tuesday.

Fine throughout. Engaged at storing ship and cleaning battery out. Orders to take out Admiral tomorrow. Dined with Admiral.

February 10th – Wednesday.

Fine throughout, Fresh breeze a.m. light to moderate p.m. Admiral Tupp came on board at 9.40 Sailed at 9.50 Several quarters off   ?  Pt
At 11.00.  ?   Gardener wrong.   ?   Looked after it. Port one falls to safe .  ?    Arrived Tarbert at 12.50. Natal ran into port sides, damaged bulwarks and top stringer plate and top sixe plate. Left at 4.30 arrived at Stornoway at 7.30. Landed Admiral who is coming off again at 9.30.   ?  Brought man back under arrest from Lily Melling . 10.00 left with Admiral to look after fishermen. Steamed up to Broad Bay using search light for fishermen and returned, arriving in harbour and anchoring at 2a.m. Landed Admiral.

February 11th – Thursday

Stornoway. In port overhauling cells, inspected damage and found out so bad as anticipated. Enquiry held on board. Manco as to cause off collision. Orders at 9.30 to keep sharp look out all night for submarine attack. Prepared and darkened ship, guns ready. Hands all standing.

February 12th – Friday

Stornoway. In port overhauling cells, damage being repaired 6.00 p.m.
Submarine reported outside, stand by again all night as per last night.

February 13th – Saturday.

Fine day. Overhauling battery completed. Nothing doing.

February 14th – Sunday.

Fine day in morning, rained in afternoon. Varnished decks as far as aft deckhouse, other part not dry. 10p.m. to see Admiral, no orders. McBrane will not run mails tomorrow, so I am to take them and four prize crews and any service men who want to go.

February 15th – Monday.

Stornoway, Kyle of Lochaish and Stornoway.  Fine, fresh N.E. wind. Left at 8 a.m. with 68 passengers, naval and military. 8.20 stopped Oupesa(?) outside and put her 2 officers and nine men on board, proceeded on voyage. Big sea quarter. Arrived Kyle at 2.30, landed mails and passengers. 4.14 left again with mails and 13 passengers, navel and military, arrived Stornoway at 10.15 p.m. Landed mails and passengers. Came over dark ship. Reason McBrane will not run – on account of German submarines.

February 16th – Tuesday.

At Stornoway. Cleaning and overhauling guns etc. Allsorts various jobs. Fine.

February 17th – Wednesday.

Stornoway to Loch Resort (Lewes west coast). Dirty and wet a.m. S.E. p.m. S.W. and to W.S.W. Orders to go to sea, prepared and await orders. 5.30 Sub Lieut. Owen joined 6.00 Left with Vesta in company, proceeded N to Butt of Lewis trawler keeping 8 knots.

February 18th – Thursday.

Arrived at Loch Resort. Commences gale W.S.W. much sea. Trawler Vesta making bad weather and coming very slowly. A very dirty passage, thick with rain and obscures all land and lights. Arrived off entrance at 6 a.m. Could not enter until 9.00 as thick with snow and sleet blowing very hard indeed. Sent Vesta to anchor at Tamanaway. Anchored myself in Loch Resort. Saw and interviewed Coast watcher Mcdonald of Kin Loch Resort. Nothing seen or heard of submarines or supply ships. 4 p.m. gale moderate somewhat, shifted berth so as to be obscured from entrance Manco out of wireless touch since 4.30 p.m. but heard her plain after shifted berth.

February – 19th Friday.

At Resort and Tamanaway. Commences fine. Daylight, all hands and guns handy, also steam. 8 Left. 9.10. Spoke to Vesta outside Loch Tamanaway watching, instructed her to go to St Kilda. Sent letter on board to deliver went myself and anchored of Scarp. All hands firing ten rounds at floating target, and also machine guns. 10.30 Reported to me F.J.McDonald of Scarp, fishermen , that they had just picked up body of a man, by description think a naval man. 11.30 went ashore, saw remains of body. Very far gone. Evidently been in the water for some few weeks, white naval vest and jersey only, 2 corks of life belt a R.N. collar inflated. Feet and hands gone. Saw Mr McDonald, minister and arranged for him to be buried. Went to Tamanawayto anchor. Saw suspicious man dressed in blue overcoat sent two men for him but he ran away. Launch at Loch Resort at dusk returned at 7.00 p.m. Saw McKenzie, Special Constable at Tamanaway, good man . Saw McLenaan, watcher at Scarp, no news of anything.

February 20th – Saturday.

Tamanaway to Amhuinnsuidhe and Tarbert.  Blowing a full gale from N.N.E. with squalls of sleet and snow. 8 a.m. Vesta arrived and anchored Skipper reports speaking to Karlsberg off         at 1a.m. too much sea to board and bring her in. Try wireless, cannot get through so pass information reach to Hildebrand. Under way at 9.30, dodge outside harbour to see if can reach Manco, no luck, so proceed on to Amhuinnsuide and send long coded message by telephone to Harris. Then to Tarbert and find they have made an almighty mess of my telegram, repeat same and then receive wire not to repeat it as it is unimportant. Thought Karlsborg was important. Sailing at 5 a.m. tomorrow. See              and Dr at Amhuinnsuidhe.             Doesn’t like my action regarding man at Scarp.

February 21st – Sunday.

Tarbert to Tamanaway.   7 a.m. underway. Very much wind NW, glass low weather very bad. Proceed out of w. Loch Tarbert. Off Taransay     sea very heavy wind force 10. Slow speed, no prospect of getting ahead so turned and came to anchor at Taranay Sound. Trouble with Port watch talked to them, no good, insubordinate. 2 p.m. weather moderated so proceeded, arriving Tamanaway at 4 p.m. much sea outside, too much for trawlers. C.O. Trawler Swan gave me Admiral’s instructions to start patrol off Gallon Head, cannot start out today, too much wind and sea. 10 p.m. Much wind, very heavy squalls, direction N.N.E.  Receive letter from McKenzie saying supposed spy was a shepherd lad from Bremish. Mid and stong N.N.E. gales, snow squalls, let go 2nd anchor and paid out cable

February 22nd – Monday.

Tamanaway.  Commences with strong gales. 12.30 a.m. Trawler Orlando dragged and came foul, damage slight to figure head and bowsprit shroud and crew quarters. 2 a.m. Gale to hurricane force. All trawlers dragged anchors, steam on engines. Vanessa, but did not use it. 8 a.m. Still blowing full gale, sea very heavy outside, Ordered Swan and Vesta to Resort to watch. Remained Tamanaway with Orlando who swept from his anchor, could not get it but picked up another good trawler anchor at 30 fathoms with nearly new chain. Watering ship when fine enough. Day ends with a full gale. 2 anchors down 75 and 45

February 23rd – Tuesday.

Tamanaway at sea and to Resort.  6 a.m. still blowing N.N.E. gale 2 feet of snow on deck.  9 Moderating. 9.30 underway to Loch Erisort. Had Sub. Lieut. Cooper on board and gave him directions, also sent telegram to Admiral. Proceeded out at 11 a.m., get to Galllan Head at 1 p.m. Started up patrol. 2.30 p.m. took over Teconia from J.P.D. and proceeded to Loch Resort and anchored outside her with Orlando abreast of me 5.30 with launch to upper part of Loch to search same nothing there but an ideal place for a submarine.  Day ends very fine. Patrol started off Gallan Head 1.30 p.m.

February 24th – Wednesday.

At Resort.  Fine with heavy frost in morning. 6.30a.m. launch to head of Loch to search and deliver mails. Could not get to top by two miles on account of ice ½ inch thick, so sent mails by land. 10.30 J Watt arrived. Went along side Telconia and took in cable. 8 p.m. wireless saying Swan required at East Loch Roag by Hope to co-operate sent Orlando at 9.45 p.m. to deliver mails to Vesta and Swan. My message to Swan to go into East Loch Roag, also provisions for Vesta, Orlando to return here by daybreak. Day ends fine. Filled with F.W. today also Orlando.

February 25th – Thursday.

Resort. Commences with fresh W wind and cloudy. John Watt to head of Loch laying cable towards entrance. Orlando arrives at 8 a.m. reports having delivered mails. Stores and message at midnight. Launch away at 9.00., armed party and officer to examine all bays and interview watchers. Nothing to report. There appears no houses in             or at Traigh D         , the latter is a good place with       gale for submarines. 1 p.m. Captain of Telconia came on board, says cannot possibly complete before 9.00 p.m. and will not finish with John Watt till then. P.m. cleaning all decks and guns. Orlando shifted up abreast. Day ends with heavy rain and a strong S.W. wind.

February 26th – Friday.

Resort. Day commences with strong gale S.S.W. force 10. 6.45 signalled Telconia – re you getting under way – reply I am not leaving here until wind moderates. Steamed out to windward and let go 2nd anchor 75 and 60. Blowing very hard all day wind veering to W.N.W. day ends with very bad weather. Vesta arrives at 9 a.m. having been compelled to abandon patrol.

February 27th – Saturday.

Resort to Butt of Lewis and to Carloway. 7.30 left Resort escorting Telconia, trawlers Orlando and Vesta and drifters John Watt following. Two former to patrol, latter to Stornoway. Moderate gale W.N.W. sea high. 12.15 Butt of Lewis. S.S.E 45 parted company with Telconia and a/c 16 2.20 met Orlando and Swan, they having discontinued patrol. Vesta gone back to Resort, went on shore and wired Admiral for food. Day ends with strong N.W. gale, much snow and hail, nasty swell in harbour, anchor 45.

February 28th – Sunday.

Carloway and Breaclete Bay.  Begins with W.N.W. gale and almost continuous snow. 6.45 Orlando to Vascey West Roag to watch there.  9.30 Vanessa and Swan to       for rock in Kearstar Channel. Arrived there after searching bays up to 10.15. Much sea at entrace to Loch. Sounded and swept until 1.00 p.m. but failed to locate rock although something is fouled each time by the sweep, which however seems too deep to be the 11 ’ rock. Weather too bad for surveying and tide too strong. Could only work at slack tide 4.30 Pearl arrived. Has had a very course passage, 9 hours from Butt of Lewis here.9.00 p.m. I get wire from Admiral, cut off at noon to start a patrol off Butt at daybreak. Wind at 9.00 p.m. a full gale and much sea. Wire unable to proceed.

March 1st – Monday.

At Breasclete Bay. (west coast of Lewis) Commences with a moderate to fresh N gale. Snow and hail squall. 7.30 moderated somewhat. 10 o’clock left for Butt with trawlers Pearl and Swan following. 11.00 a.m. outside loch, too much sea, which was high and dangerous. A/c 16 points and returned to Breasclete Bay Weather very bad, wired Admiral. 6.00 p.m. weather continues. Let go 2nd anchor. 6.20 “Pope Star” Lighthouse tender came in. Would not reply to my signals or stop. Could not fire on account of land. No colours flying.

March 2nd – Tuesday.

Breasclete Bay to Carloway and to Butt of Lewis on Patrol.  Begins with moderating weather. Had Sub Lieutenants from Swan and Pearl on board. Sent Pearl with meat and mails to Orlando at Vacsey. She returned to me at Carloway at 2.00 p.m. Left for patrol at 2.30. Arrived on patrol at Butt of Lewis at 5.30. Sent Swan to Stornoway. Day ends with heavy northern swell, overcast sky and light southerly wind. Pearl and Vanessa patrolling 5 miles each side of Butt of Lewis. 9.30 p.m. stopped and spoke to collier Uwworth of London, Long hop to Cardiff No. 403 Captain name Watson.

March 3rd – Wednesday.

Patrol off Butt of Lewis. Fresh S.W. wind. Patrolling with Pearl. Nothing of any consequence occurred during daylight. No ships but plenty of herring drifters at night. 7.30. Wind now a gale from W. spoke and stopped and showed searchlight on Norwegian S.S.Solferino (Swansea to Norway) .General. Let her go – could not board. 8.00 Orders from Admiral. Seek shelter. Much wind and sea. Try to find Pearl. Last seen at 6.30. Lay of Butt with all lights out but she does not come. Fire white verays. No sign of her, so at 1.00 a.m. go to anchor N. of Tolstahead.

March 4th – Thursday.

Tolsta Bay to Carloway. 7.30 left Tolsta Bay. 8.00 see Pearl. Stopped Norwegian S.S. Locksley, bound through Minch from Newcastle to Hampton Roads. Ordered her outside Hebrides – too much sea to board. Proceed with Pearl to Carloway. Called back for 40 minutes, then told to go in much wind and sea. Arrived at 2.00 p.m. Wind and sea moderated so sent Pearl to St Kilda.  6.00 p.m. Rhunna arrived. Went onboard to see Commander and gave him all particulars of patrol etc. My mails at Tolsta- Chaolais, going to fetch them in morning. Day ends thick with fine rain.

March 5th – Friday

Thick mist. Rain throughout. 6.45 a.m. left Carlo Bay. 7.10 arrived Tolsta, picked up mails and left at 7.45. 10.00 a.m. San Lacerto and Cormorant who asked how far to Carloway. 11.00 stood into Port of Ness – to look at it. 12.00 Off Tolsta Head. Saw strange buoy. Lowered a boat and had a look at a buoy. 1.40 arrived Stornoway.

March 6th – Saturday.

At Stornoway. Very Showery. Coaled and then watered, but water so long coming in was not finished until 11.00 p.m. so remained alongside.

March 7th – Sunday.

At Stornoway. Wind 4. Trawlers all stranded ashore in harbour. Mine sweepers from Rina (?). 7.30 backed off from pier and anchored in harbour. Day fine. Evans, Brown and J.Bell liberty.

March 8th – Monday.

At Stornoway. Overhauling steering gear. Dined with Admiral.

March 9th – Tuesday.

Stornoway to Aultbea. Day fine, evening wet, misty rain and fresh S.W. wind. 7.25. Full speed with Admiral and Commander Mader on board. 10.25 Aultbea. Landed Admiral. Went on board Lorna and got my orders. 6.25 received wire from Stornoway that suspicious craft off Coigeach at 7.00 left. 10.50 spoke security 10’ off Rubha Stoer B.F. 1108. 11.50 spoke to Rubha Stoer W.S. Station who says they saw vessel off Rubha Coigeach at 11.30 but she was evidently a long liner or drifter. She went on towards Stornoway. Lily Melling and City of Carlisle guarding Loch Ewe.

March 10th – Wednesday.

To Aultbea and then Loch Inver.  Commences with thick misty rain. Steaming slowly back towards Rudha Re.  7.16. Anchored at Aultbea. Barnsley arrived at 2.20 p.m. and I call at 3.00. Stop Remo outside and tell her about my mails and look into a likely bay. Arrive at Loch Inver at 6.00 p.m. and anchor. Day ends fresh breeze and cloudy.

March 11th – Thursday

Loch Inver to Loch Inchard. 9.00 a.m. Left Loch Inver. 9.50 off Rubha Stoer. Get report 2 Swedes are W.S.S. and W.S.W distance 10 miles steering S from us Steam S.W. for 26 miles but cannot see them from mast heads so then steam up towards Rubha Stoer. Stop liner and tell him not to fish. 3.00 p.m. Off Handa. See steamer, go out and board her. Orkla of Lieth just been examined at Stornoway. 6.00 p.m. boarded Baldwin of Trondheim, Stavanger to Swansea, quite genuine let her go, outside only. Cargo deals. 7.00 Arrived Loch Inchard and anchored. Find Alberia there. Vesta, anchored and anby fishing boats outside.

March 12th – Friday.

Loch Inchard. Thick fog throughout. Left Alberia at 11.30 to go and exercise modified sweep on Roto but weather too bad and too thick. Saw two fishing boats, one liner and one drifter who were sent in to Stornoway. Sent Roto to get store lists from other trawlers. Arrived back in Loch Inchard at 5p.m. Vanessa putting new element in battery. Day ends thick. Natal not arrived yet.

March 13th – Saturday.

Commences thick with fine mist. 6.30 Vesta left for Stornoway, via Loch Ewe. 8.00 Alberia left for Cape Wrath, patrol. 9.30 Natal arrived, gave her sailing orders and sent her to Cape Wrath, patrol. 10.00 left and proceeded to Loch Laxford. Examined Loch and anchored at Fanagmore Bay. Saw the four watchers and schoolmaster. Nothing to report but all doing their work well. Left at 12.45 steamed to Handa Sound from S.W.  and looked in at Scourie. Sea too heavy to stop there. Proceeded on to Oldany Island and gave crew 10 rounds per man with               . Anchored at Badcall at 3.40. Saw watchers McLeod and McKintosh, then went to see Dr Jamison. Mrs J says she saw a submarine about a month ago her description O.K.  I Wonder – Dr J says a young German Dr of Literature stayed here some time ago and sketched everything here. 6.30 went with armed launch to Loch Calva. Best place yet I have seen for submarines, no houses, no-one ever goes there, splendid anchorage. Saw a farmer, McLeod, and asked him to look at this Loch always at dusk and daybreak. He agreed.

March 14th – Sunday.

9.00 a.m. Had coast watchers on board and cautioned them about Loch Calva. 9.30 Left and proceeded up Loch Chairn Bhain. Saw watchers who came off (they ought to be in the army). 11.00 a.m. Left and proceeded to Loch Nedd after looking well into Loch Ardvar 3 watchers came on board, had seen nothing. 1.00 p.m. Left Loch Nedd, very thick proceeded south. 4.00 p.m. Steamed close round Priest Island and into bay with guns manned. Nothing there (damn) Proceeded on to Little Loch Broom. Stopped at Badluchrach and saw watchers and then proceeded up to head of Loch and anchored.

March 15th – Monday.

Commenced thick with fine rain. 6.30 a.m. Wire from Rear Admiral saying suspicious light seen between Tanera and main land at 7.30 p.m. I cannot sail, very thick and dark. At 5.15 I sail and proceed to Priest Island, Eilean Dubh and Tanera, then to Badentarbet pier where I arrive at 7.20 a.m. Send ashore and interview police and C.V.V. Hear that it is the Reiff coast watcher who gave report and says it was a dark blue light (rat). Go to Tanera and anchor at 8.20 then see            who says he saw nothing. Then out through              Sound. Examine all bays and then on to Loch Kanaird where I arrived at noon. Nothing seen of anything suspicious. At 1.00 p.m. I arrive at Ullapool, see Captain Grant, Nothing heard of suspicious ship. Sail at 3.00 via Priest Island for another look and then to Loch Ewe. Arrived Aultbea at 6.00 p.m. I received wire from Fisher saying Rato smashed boat and derrick. Order her here and am sending Cardiff Castle with stores for Remo and Alberia to Loch Inchard. J Watt brought stores from Aultbea.

March 16th Tuesday.

Fine day. Employed examining place to beach Barnsley and sweeping for City of Carlisle’s anchor. No luck with latter. No one seems to know just where it was lost.
4.00 p.m. Roto arrived having lost her boat, broken her derrick and span. Barnsley patrolling. Lily Melling taking over at night.

March 17th Wednesday.

Fine day. Lily Melling came in at 6.30. Sent her to replenish coal and water. Roto relieved Barnsley at 6.30 Put Barnsley on the beach at 8.15. Examined and found leak at L.W. and caulked same.
Vesta arrived from Stornoway with stores at 1.00 p.m.                                Wire from Admiral saying submarine had been seen off Butt of Lewis at 8.40 a.m. I get this news at 1.40 p.m. and weighed at 2.20. I went to entrance of harbour and ordered Roto to get M.S. out, which was done smartly. Heavy snow, very thick. Vesta ,Roto and Vanessa patrolling entrance . Lily Melling came out at 6.30 and Vesta went in. Cleared up at 10.00 p.m. Roto sweep only kept out until dark, Barnsley off beach at 8.30 p.m. not leaking now. Telegraphed Alberia to come south to Aultbea tomorrow.

March 18th – Thursday.

A fine day, fresh N.E. wind cold.
7.00 a.m. arrived at Aultbea from patrol. Brown and Bell arrived from leave. Martin and Wilkinson left for leave.
Barnsley reports making no water. Ordered her to blw down boiler and refill with fresh.
Received wire from Admiral reporting strange lights seen off Red Point ( Rubha Riedh). So underway and proceed to find out what it is.  Stopped steamer Cheviot and let her go, Kyle to Aultbea. Arrived Badachro at 2.10. Saw Mc Kenzie watcher and took him to South Erradale and there saw watcher Mc Donald. I think they were from patrol boats. Left Erradale at 4.50. Arrived Aultbea 7.00 p.m. Sent Alberia to patrol.

March 19th – Friday.

Aultbea to Loch Nedd. A fresh N.E. Wind and a big sea outside. At 11.00 am left 1.30 arrived Ullapool. Find Captain Grant away so proceed again at 2.30. See Captain Grant in his fishing boat off Horse Island. Who signals strange lights seen off Loch Need. Vesta already there. Talk to Post Office and send wires. 11.20 Watcher report strange lights at Badcall but they are lights on main road.

March 20th – Saturday.

Loch Nedd to Badcall and Loch Inchard via Cape Wrath. Patrol.  7.00a.m. Left with Vesta astern. 7.40 at Badcall. See C.Ws (coastal Watchers) and proceed at 11.00 having given Vesta orders to go to Loch calve each night and patrol Eddrachillis Bay during day. Proceeded off to sea and then patrol until 6.00 p.m. Natal and Cardiff Castle out there. Arrived Loch Inchard at 7.20 p.m. Dark and blowing hard. Cannot send telegram. Remo at Laxford, Lily Melling at Inchard. Day ends very coarse.

March 21st – Sunday.

A dirty day. Laid at at Inchard. Wired Admiral disposition of fleet. Received wire from Vesta saying everything all right there. Natal in port. Remo Cardiff Castle and Lily Melling on patrol. Natal is short-handed- No mate and one a.b. short.

March 22nd – Monday.

A fresh S.S.E. wind. Boat drill. At 9.00 a.m. Cardiff Castle arrives from patrol At 11.00 a.m. reports leaking in number two fish room        fouled with stores cleaned out, and everything all right.      2’’ per hour. Get stores list from Aultbea and send same to Admiral. 4.00p.m. sail       and orders to Stornoway.
P.D. drifter 157 fishing with lines inside Bulgie (?) Island. Send Lily Melling to tell her to shift. Patrol for 6 day Bulgie. 9.00 p.m. Stop and board Guatemala steamer, Nike of Svenige, no doubt a German who has been sold since the war but she has a prize crew from H.M.S. Montagua on board.
11.00 p.m. Stop Penare C Transport 160.

March 23rd – Tuesday.

Commences fine. 5.00a.m. Lily Melling and I meet at Lat 58.4 ON 6w.I steam N 5 milesand she S 5 milesas day breaks but no luck. Return to Inchard at 11.00 Vesta and Remo here. Give them sailing orders . Remo to Aultbea . Vesta to Laxford until morning then to relieve Natal. 1.30 sailed and proceeded to Loch Nedd. Saw watchers and they showed me the bearings they took off of suspicious lights with horizontal and vertical sticks- strange.

March 24th Wednesday.

Strong N.E. wind , big sea and showery. 8.00 Left Loch Nedd .8.20 a.m. arrived Badcall, saw watchers who can give no account of suspicious lights. 11.00 Left Badcall for Aultbea. 3.00 p.m. arrived Aultbea. Passed Roto at 1.00 off summer Islands heading north. Find on arrival that Stanley Weyman did not send mails by Roto.

March 25th – Thursday.

At Aultbea. Barnsley patroling day and night. Stanley Weyman at night. No coal to be had so am waiting until tomorrow.

March 26th – Friday.

At Aultbea. Collier arrived at 7.30 a.m. Went to her at 9.00 and commenced coaling at 10.30 Barnsley also coaled and watered. We took in 55 tons Finished at 6.00.Took in 15 tons water
Hear German submarine U 29 sunk off Dover. Good.

March 27th – Saturday.

Fresh N.E. wind Nasty sea. 5.30 a.m. Left Aultbea. 8.40 a.m. Ru Stoer abeam. 9.50 a.m. anchored Loch Nedd. Vesta arriving from searching bay at same time. 11.00 sent Vesta to Stornoway as per orders and proceeded to Bulgie(?) patrol. Arrived there at 1.00 and delivered mails. Remained on patrol with Roto and Natal sending Cardiff Castle to Aultbea to relieve Remo whose boiler had gone wrong. Sent Lily Melling in for rest. Spoke to collier westbound to Cromarty.

March 28th – Sunday.

A fine day. Chased Man of war(?) for an hour but could not catch her. Bound N.E. till 1.15 a.m. Fresh breeze N.E. big sea.
7.30. Stopped and boarded Norwegian steamer Salamanca. Spain and Swansea for Stravanger. Came up through Minch.
Boarded Natal for store lists at 8.30. Lily Melling out again. Anchored Roan (?)Island at 9.15 and went on board Roto at 10.15 and got M.S. out. Returned at noon. 2.45 p.m. went into Loch Inchard and anchored. Lily Melling, Roto and Natal on Patrol.

March 29th – Monday.

Fine with occasional showers. Painted ship. Walked to telegraph office with wires. 7.30 got report of a mine in Bulgie (?) Sound. Anchored Will go to get it in morning. Sending Lily Melling from patrol at midnight to Aultbea, to blow down boiler and replenish coal. Engineer reports boiler was 5/32 !!! Get information about a mine seen by Fisherman in Bulgie Sound from Duncan of Scourie.

March 30th – Tuesday.

Drizzling snow and hail. Wind light. 11.00 a.m. left and signal cruiser of Latvia type the a mine is in Bulgie Sound. I then go to Roan Island and pick up fisherman. Proceeded to Bulgie sound and send out boats to search for mine – cannot find it. Admiral arrives in Hersilia at 2.45 and I go on board. He says the submarine got through our patrol at Cape Wrath some days since. Admiral left at 3.30, picked up my boats and 3.45 went  off on patrol. Give chase to a steamer at 4. She will not stop. About 3’ off her. She will not answer my signals and runs away. Fire two shots at her  at 4.20, out of range. A very fast boat, wireless, like a cross-channel steamer. 5.30 She is hull down so turn and proceed back to Roin  Island with fisherman. Sail again at 7.30 for patrol.

March 31st – Wednesday.

On patrol. Misty rain and fresh S.W. wind. 5.15 spoke Norwegian S.S. Potara. 8.30 stood E of 5 deg W and saw Scapa patrol, City of Selby. 11.50 Lily Melling arrived on patrol and I went with her to take stores from her in Loch Inchard. 2.00 p.m. Lily Melling returned to patrol and send in Natal for stores. 6.00 Natal left for patrol. 8.30 Lily Melling arrived with wireless broken down. Alberia arrived having left Remo on patrol . Mine sweepers had not turned up at 7.30 p.m.

April 1st – Thursday.

A strong N.W. gale and a very heavy sea. Left Loch Incard at 5.00 with Lily Melling. Proceeded to patrol and to look for mine sweepers. The worst sea I have seen this winter. Lily Melling took Natal with her for Stornoway. I on patrol until 6 p.m. when Alberia came out to relieve me
Proceeded into port. Received wire from Admiral about submarine off St Kilda. Cannot get out of Loch. Thick with rain so wirelesses Alberia.

April 2nd – Good Friday.

10 a.m. Alberia arrived with two mine sweepers. Lt .Commander White R.N. came on board and saw me. Says too much sea to sweep and decided to remain at anchor until sea goes down. I proceed towards Aultbea to get fresh water but Admiral wires me to come to Stornaway. I have sick man on board from Roto .
Arrive 4.30 Go alongside No.1 Pier. Replenish water.
Dine with Admiral. Sail at midnight. Find crew have got hold of chain lightning (?)(drink)

April 3rd – Saturday.

4.10 a.m. Arrive at Aultbea. Picked up liberty man and landed others. Sailed at 6.30. Trouble with crew. Arrived Bulgie at 10.30 Mine sweepers at work. Roto, Remo and Alberia on patrol. 2.30 blowing too hard to go more sweeping and not fit to patrol so with trawlers and mine sweepers I proceed to Inchard. Wire Admiral patrol discontinued,

April 4th – Sunday.

Blowing very hard. West. Alberia and Remo to patrol at 7 a.m. Alderiab and Remo returned at 9 a.m. Too much wind and sea. Roto to Aultbea to replenish coal and water and relieve Cardiff Castle. Day ends with bad weather.

April 5th – Monday.

N.W. gale. Heavy sea. Alberia and Remo to patrol at 7 a.m. Too much sea for Remo who returned at 9 a.m. Sent her to Laxford. 2.30 Cardiff Castle arrived. Sent her to Laxford for Remo. Wind moderated. Started Bulgie patrol. Left myself for at 2.30. Wireless from rear Admiral to go to Ullapool to see strange steamer. 4.30 p.m. orders from Butt of Lewis. Heavy sea, moderate N.W. gale. 6.30 p.m. orders to proceed to Stornoway. Arrived at 8.

April 6th – Tuesday.

Blowing a south gale, much sea in harbour. 6.30 alongside collier as per orders. No one to make my ropes fast. Lt Manco tells me collier dragging. She isn’t and tell them so but no good. They ‘phone’ Admiral who tells me to shift. Shifted at anchorage at 7.30. H.M. ordered alongside at 3.00 go to collier but cruiser cuts me out. Go again as ordered but am ordered away again so anchor for night. Rotten.

April 7th – Wednesday.

Fresh breeze from South. Alongside collier at 7.00. Commenced coaling 9.15 collier has no steam before. Finished 1.30. Sail at 4.50 for Butt in patrol with Quercia in company. Moderate gale, nasty sea. Orders to return at 7 p.m. Speak Quercia and order her to East Loch Road, Breascle Bay and return to Stornoway. Arrive at 10.30. Filthy weather.

April 8th Thursday.

N.W. Gale. Shift at 7.30. Get stores from Manco. 11.30 Admiral says am in wrong billet and most probably broken telephone cable. If so telephone cable not on line reported. Shift ship to moor 2.2.

April 9th Friday.

Admiral came off at 5.40 and told me about submarine in N. part of Raasay Sound. Sail 9.20 a.m with Mr Ellis and Mr Jones on board. Arrive at Portree at 1.00 p.m. Mr Douglas not there. Sail for Kyle at 2.30. Arrive there 3.30 Leave at 4.00 Arrive Knoydart at 6.00. Hard wind N wind. Mallaig not good for night.

April 10th – Saturday.

Left Knodart at 6.30. Arrived Malliag at 7.10. Land Mr Jones at 7.40. Sail at 8.30. Arrive Kyle of Lochaish at 10.15. And go alongside pier for fresh water. Left pier at 6.30. Full up with fresh water. Send Lily Melling for fresh water and at 4.00. She sails for Rhum Island to keep watch there and steam round at early morning.

April 11th – Sunday.

Laid at Kyle of Lochaish. Stopped and overhauled steamers as per ships list. Fresh breeze but fine.

April 12th – Monday.

Raining in early morning. Sailed at 9.00a.m for Malliag to pick up liberty men. They wire having lost connection at Glasgow. I find out that the London connection got through all right. Give no leave. Return to Kyle at 3.15 Send Lily Melling back to Rhum. Fine day – painting.

April 13th – Tuesday.

6.45 a.m. Roto arrived from Stornoway. Had skipper on board. Gave him orders to stop and examine all shipping that passes and left him in charge at Kyle.
8.35. Left Kyle and proceeded to Mallaig, then to Camusdarrach, Glen Uig and Loch Ailport. Spoke coast watchers at Roshven. Think tale of submarine having been seen in this Loch is without foundation. Returned to Kyle after calling at Malliag to wire Admiral for permission to remain in and overhaul and adjust machinery.
Arrived Kyle at 8.00 p.m. Received telegrams about suspicious vessel off Loch Slapin, which was no doubt the Lily Melling.

April 14th – Wednesday.

Blowing hard from N.W. Much rain. Laying at Kyle overhauling machinery Roto also here. Barnsley and Lady Lel arrived at 8.00 p.m. Roto also laying here.

April 15th – Thursday.

At Kyle. Guardship. Painting ship and varnishing decks. Out with Barnsley. Tried M.S. Lily Melling arrived at 3.00 and sailed with Barnsley at 6.00 for Rhum and to patrol from 3.00 a.m. tomorrow. Roto away to Castle Brochel, Diabaig and Portree to see coast watchers and to leave Portree at 3.00 a.m. to patrol.

April 16th – Friday.

Snow squalls. Laying at Kyle. Guardship. Tried to complete painting but had to leave off. Roto arrives at 7.00 and reports coast watchers at Diabaig, Ferus and Loch Ainort have been paid off. Pullen A.B. Sick and off duty.

April 17th – Saturday.

Commences fine. 8.00 a.m. Left Pullen A.B. aboard Roto who is guard today and proceeded to Ardueskin to see coast watcher Mackenzie – he is a character – he says everyone at Knoydart are traitors. Then to Loch Ainort to see coast watchers, then on to Portree. Saw Mr Douglas, and then patrolling down to Kyle where arrived at 9.00 p.m. Get doctors report on Pullen A.B., which is not good. Give sailing orders to Roto.

April 18th – Sunday.

Guard ship at Kyle. Upperton played the fool and let a Swede through the narrows. A very dirty day. Mr Guiness arrived in Kimberly at 6.00 p.m. and proceeded to Mallaig.

April 19th – Monday.

A dirty wet day. Roto arrived at 8.00 and I left at 10.00. Proceed down Sleat Sound and to Islands, then to Rhum. Signalled Barnsley to come I and take her liberty men. Take her Roto’s …….. and take her cell tester for Roto. 4.30 leave for Kyle searching coast line on the way. 8.00 p.m. arrived at Kyle. Gave Roto sailing orders and cell tester etc.

April 20th – Tuesday.

A dirty day with heavy snow squalls. Guard ship at Kyle. Roto exercised M.S. from 10.15 to 12.15.

April 21st – Wednesday.

2 a.m. Wire from Rear Admiral saying German minelayer Reinrick to be sent to Stornoway or sunk. Telegraphed this to Barnsley and also Roto. 9.00 a.m. left Kyle. Roto taking guard. Roto reported too much sea to lay in Diabiag so went to Shieldind last night. 9.00 a.m. Roto having arrived and taken over guard I left for Malliag to get pipe fixed off in forward W.C. 11.00 a.m. arrived Malliag. Liberty men went away, others arrived. Plumbers from Marshall & Pearson came on board and started work at 12 noon.

April 22nd – Thursday.

Plumbers completed at 1 p.m. and I sail for Eigg then Muck and Canna and anchor at Rhum at 8.00 for night. Overhaul transport collier off Eigg. Gave Barnsley her stores and mails at Rhum and sent her to Ardnamurcher.

April 23rd – Friday.

At 9 a.m. left Rhum for Soay and arrived there at 10.00 a.m. then to Scatvaig. Examine iron house but cannot get in it, then on to Tarskavaig. Orlando only shows of her mast at high tide. Steamed up Sleat Sound to Kyle. Arrived at 7.00 p.m. Sent Roto out to Raasay Sound to patrol there.

April 24th – Saturday.

Guard ship at Kyle. Roto north part of Raasay Sound and Barnsley is brittle and arrive at and patrolling south side of Skye.

April 25th – Sunday.

Guard ship at Kyle. Roto Raasay Sound and both she and Barnsley
came in to bring time sheets. Barnsley lost anchor and three fathoms cable At 4.00 p.m. sent my grapple on board and he fished it up again at 8.30 p.m. (slack tide). Did not send her away as it was dark in the Kyle.

April 26th – Monday.

4.00 a.m. Barnsley sailed for Rhum and patrol off Ardnamurchan. 8.00 Roto arrived and took over guard. Noon I sailed after having repaired Roto’s boat. 2.30 p.m. arrived Mallaig. 5.00 p.m. Rhum. Barnsley off Ardnamurchan. Roto Kyle.

April 27th – Tuesday.

Left Rhum at 2 a.m. and went to patrol off Ardnamurchan at daybreak. 8.00 a.m. anchored Muck and sent ashore for lobster. 9.20 left. 10.40 arrived ……. Traigh, ideal bay, no watchers. Noon anchor Loch Moidart coast watchers came off. 3.00 p.m. Mallaig for mails. 5.20 p.m. Knoydart. 1.30 Orders from Admiral to watch for submarine in Minch. Started for Ardnamurchan ordering Barnsley to come to.

April 28th Wednesday.

Patrolling off Ardnamurchan with Barnsley in company. Nothing seen. Weather very fine. Hebrides steamer gave me trouble. Would not reply to my signals. 6.30 p.m. Swede Arnold of Gotheberg bound north. Sent her to Stornoway.

April 29th – Thursday.

Fine day. Left Barnsley at 6.20 a.m. on patrol at Ardnamurchan and proceed to Mallaig for provisions and to replenish water. Arrived there at 8.40. Took in stores and new man Macdonald and proceeded to Kyle for leave. We arrived at 1.00 p.m. Picked up two, the other two were not there. Left and picked up Macdonald at Airor and then to Rhum where anchored at 7.00 p.m. Barnsley arrived at 8.00 p.m. with machinery damaged. Chief Engineer on board to repair same.

April 30th – Friday.

Dull weather. Barnsley repaired machinery temporarily and as I want a good boat here I send her to relieve Roto and she to come here. 4.00 p.m. wireless from Admiral about submarine going south off Dunvegan Head (Skye) at 10.00 a.m. So proceed out of harbour. Roto to meet me off Ardnamurchan Point. Roto joins me at 9.00 p.m. and as it is misty I go with her to anchor at South Bay Eigg. Wireless from Admiral to return to Kyle. Rhumma (?) relieving me tomorrow evening.

May 1st – Saturday

Fine day. As Roto will not be able to get through Kyle Rhea until 2.00 p.m. order her to proceed to Ardnamurchan and then search Loch lapn pete . She left at 3.00 a.m. I sail at 6.00 for Kyle. Arrive there at 9.40 a.m. Roto reports bottom very foul and should be put ashore to scrub. Roto arrived at 3.00 p.m. Rhumma arrived at 9.30 and I sail at 10.50 for Stornoway.

May 2nd – Sunday.

Snow with fresh North wind. 3.50 a.m. arrived Stornoway from Kyle. Rear Admiral at 10.00 a.m. ordered me to keep steam for twenty minutes. 5.00 Calanthe sails for dry dock.

May 3rd – Monday.

7.00a.m. alongside collier and took in 72 tons of coal. Finished 3.00 p.m.

May 4th – Tuesday.

Received orders at 8.50 a.m. for steam at 9.30 a.m. Admiral came on board and we went to position off Ru Re (?) During Dreadnought (?) manoeuvering we guarding them against submarine attack. Returned to No. 1 pier at 7.00 p.m. Radley seaman came over in charge of Malliag police.

May 5th – Wednesday.

Stored up. Fine day. 2.30 left for       Point with Vesta to patrol. Arrived there at 9.00 p.m. and patrolled W.E.S.E. 7 back and forward with Vesta astern.

May 6th – Thursday.

A very fine day, foggy in early morning.  At 1.30 a.m. signalled Vesta to follow me towards Castle Bay. 5.00 a.m. Saw object in fog which disappeared general quarters course, set to run over it. Nothing happened, no doubt black fish fin. Varied courses at full speed. Saw nothing more this        . Off Muldannich Island 6.00 a.m. Arrived Castlebay 10.00 Saw Robertson. Got three good men and arranged to meet him at 10.0 p.m. tonight 6.00 p.m. sailed with Vesta for inner Oitit Mhor. Arrived at 8.40 p.m. picked up Robertson and Mclean at 10.00 p.m. from Eoligarry (Barra).

May 7th – Friday.

A very fine day. 9.00 a.m. landed to see coast watcher at Eoligarry. 11.00 returned to ship. Wire from Admiral saying submarine passed S. Rock last night at six going North. Landed Robertson at Eriskay and went off Rudha na h-Ordoig with Vesta on patrol. Remained till 8.00 and returned to Eriskay to pick up Robertson who has got thirty recruits today.

May 8th – Saturday.

Fine with a strong E.N.E wind. Left Eriskay at 4.00 a.m. with Vesta for Castlebay. Arrived at 6.30 a.m. and anchored. 8.00 a.m. wire from Admiral to go and patrol off Barra Head. So proceed with Vesta. Arrived there at 10.00 a.m. and began patrol. At 2.00 p.m. wire from Admiral to leave Vesta proceed to recruit and patrol combined. Anchored in Berneray Sound and sent Sub Lieutenant up with written message to Light House Keeper to ask if he will keep look out from Light House for anything and report to Vesta. Light House being 800 ft tall can see submarine far further than we can. Sail at 4.00 p.m. Arrive at Castlebay at 5.20 p.m. Saw Robertson and arrange for tomorrow. Sailed at 7.00 p.m. and arrived Inner Oitir Mohr at 8.30 p.m.

May 9th – Sunday.

A fine day. 9.00 a.m. Left Oitir Mohr and proceeded to Barra Head. Arrived there at 11.35 a.m.  Spoke to Vesta and sent her up to examine Vatersay Bay and see coast watchers there. 3.50 p.m. spoke to Vesta again. She reports nothing been into Vatersay Bay since war started. No telegraph there. 3.00 p.m. arrived Castlebay. Took Mr Robertson, Fathers Cameron and Mc Dougal proceeded to Lochboisdale. Picked up Winstanley engineer of Cardiff Castle and landed Father McDougal. Left at 6.45 p.m. and arrived Eriskay at 8.00 p.m. Landed Robertson and Father Cameron to recruit.

May 10th – Monday.

At 5.00 a.m. left Eriskay. Took Father Cameron to Castlebay. Arrived at 6.30 left at 7.30. Arrived at Lochboisdale with Robertson at 10.00 a.m. Laid there until 5.00 p.m. when left for Barra Sound, arrived there at 6.30 p.m. Trouble with              most insolent to me and refused to go to his berth, had to to put him there by force. Made a close prisoner of him until get to Mancho (?)

May 11th – Tuesday.

At 9.00 a.m. left for Barra Head, patroling. Wind N.E. force 7, wind increasing later and engineer reports air pump requires adjusting, So with Vesta to Vatersay Bay. Worked at feed pump and left at 5.00 p.m. for Barra Sound Vesta leaving for Barra Head .Wind N.E. force 9. Arrived Sound of Barra at 7.00. Exercised action – wild night.

May 12th – Wednesday.

Wind and sea moderated. Sailed at 4.00 a.m. for Loch Maddy. Arrived at 8.45 a.m. Picked up paymaster Robertson at 10.00 a.m. and sailed for Castlebay. Arrived at 3.00 p.m. had pub shut up from 6.00 p.m. until tomorrow after the ship sails.

May 13th – Thursday.

At 9.00 Left Castlebay with 61 recruits on board. Proceed to Eriskay and picked up 30 more. Then on to Stornoway, arriving there at 7.40 p.m. Landed recruits at Pier No. 1. Picked out 30 for Stornoway.

May 14th – Friday

At 4.00 a.m. Shifted from pier to anchorage as mail s/s had to come alongside 7.00 a.m. alongside collier and started coaling. Noon left collier with Admiral on board and Lieut. Crawford, the latter to take command of H.M.S. Washington. At 4.00 p.m special squadron came out and we proceeded to escort them with trawlers Washington, Pavolva and Roto.  Roto dropping very far astern. At 10.00 p.m off Cape Wrath, left special service squadron and proceeded to Tolsta Head (Lewis). W……… Three weeks jail and dismissed this ship.

May 15th – Saturday.

At 1.30 a.m. off Tolsta Head N.o. 1 Fishing vessel only there. Proceeded to Stornoway where anchored at 3.10 a.m. Landed Admiral at 3.20 a.m. Took on board grappels to sweep Oitir Mohr. At 1.20 left having paymaster Robertson on board. At 4.10 p.m. anchored in E.L Tarbert and landed mails for          and Trodday patrols Paymaster Robertson also landed to arrange for recruiting. 6.30 left and proceeded towards Castlebay. 10.29 off T         point

May 16th – Sunday.

Fine day. At 1.20 anchored in Castlebay. Saw fishing officer at 9.00 a.m. and arranged about the fishing starting and wire Admiral to allow me to grant provisional permits. 11.25 a.m. left Castlebay and proceeded to Sound of Barra. Saw priest and gave fishing permits. Lay here the night.

May 17th – Monday.

Fresh breeze. Left Eriskay at 9.35 a.m. and proceeded to Lochboisdale to lay paymaster Robertson to recruit and also Priest. Arriving at Lochboisdale at 11.10. Left Lochboisdale after sending Paymaster Robertson to Lochboisdale in launch. At 1.30 proceede to Barra head on patrol. 5.15 signalled            spoke Vesta and gave her orders. 7.20 moored in Castlebay and got permits out for fishing boat. Lay here for the night.

May 18th – Tuesday

Fine day Admiral arrived Castlebay in Hercelia at 6.15a.m. I went on board at 6.30 a.m. At 8.30 I sailed for Oitir Mohr, Arrived at 10.00 Vesta not there as ordered . So commenced to drag with grapnels. Vesta arrived at 11.00 and got wire out. Swept round anchorage but got nothing but weed. At 4.30 p.m. anchored at Sound of Barra. Vesta returned to Barra Head with Roto .Received wire fishing fleet not going out tonight.

May 19th – Wednesday.

3.20 a.m. paid out cable. Wind increasing gale S.E. (South Uist) 6.00a.m. weighed and proceeded to Lochboisdale. Arrived 7.25 a.m. Picked up Robertson and his chairman at 10.00 and proceeded to Loch Skiport taking outside courses patrolling on the way. 0.15 p.m. spoke yacht Iolairr. 0.30 p.m. moored in Loch Skiport and Robertson held meeting. No recruits. 2.15 Left Loch Skiport. Loch Carnan. Very tricky place. Coast watchers boarded nothing to report. Held two recruiting meetings. Got 10 recruits . 9.37 wire from Admiral saying submarine sighted between                    and                    thick with rain and could not get out.

May 20th – Thursday.

Sailed at daybreak and went to patrol between Loch Carnan and Lochboisdale (North Uist) saw nothing. Spoke North bound steamer who had seen nothing. 8.00 a.m. dropped anchor in Lochboisdale and landed Robertson’s chairman. Weighed at 9.00 and patrolled up to Loch Maddy where landed Robertson, then by zig zag courses to Barra Head. Spoke to Roto and cruised round for a while then to fishing fleet but found on arrival they had not come out – too much wind and sea. So went into Castlebay.

May 21st – Friday.

Went alongside pier at Castlebay at 9.00 a.m. to replenish water and remained in port all day, cleaning up ship and guns etc. Sailed at 8.30 p.m. for fishing fleet and Barra Head. Night fine and clear.

May 22nd – Saturday.

Fine day with thick haze. Wieghed at 8.00 a.m. and sailed. Target practice three mis-fires, think cartridge damp, long exposure. Good practice with both guns. 10.00 a.m. finished and proceeded to Sound of Barra to                     arriving at 3.00 p.m. landed officer and party to examine Island. Nothing could be stored there, too much sea breaking even on a fine day, birds quite tame, can take them off nests, mainly Eiders also rock pigeons. Left at 4.00 and moored in Sound of Shillag (?) at 5.40 sent launch round Islands and interviewed natives, nothing been seen here. Also saw light house keeper – same report. Wire from Admiral to start patrol West of Barra Head. Sailed at 7.50

May 23rd Sunday – Whit Sunday

0.45 Dense fog. 1.30 by a/c Barra Head ESE got bearing by echo and steer in. Can see nothing so let go in 25 fathoms. Range vision 200 yards.  9.10 cleared a little, stood in by echo or whistle and lead and anchored 4 cables from West entrance of Berneray Sound. Sent launch through and got trawlers Roto and Vesta and proceeded out on patrol. Came very thick again so anchored. Vesta to blow whistle if I want her to verify my position. 5.00 p.m. All ships at anchor, vision 80 yards. Trawler Ocean detained, no Stornoway clearance but on examination let her go. Mid dense fog. Roto reported that Marynthea and 6 trawlers patrolling here all yesterday and that they left for Lough          at 7.00 p.m. yesterday.

May 24th – Monday  –  Whit Monday.

3.00 a.m. Cleared. Wieghed. Sent Vesta to Castlebay for my stores and mail. Roto and Me patolling 9 miles off. 9.00a.m. Vesta returned with stores and mails. Noon left trawlers and patrol and proceed to Eriskay to telegraph         . Received wire from Admiral saying submarine coming south and also trawler to be arrested so proceed to Barra Head. 10.00 p.m. dense fog. Patrolling off Barra Head.

May 25th – Tuesday

At 2.00 a.m. Roto sighted having lost Vesta. Patrolled east of head all day. Trawlers patrolling west. Mid. Stormy, wind force 8 N.E. nasty sea.

May 26th – Wednesday.

7.00 a.m. Much wind and sea. Calliope arrived. Took her under land, anchored and Sub Lieut. Jamison came on board. Reports being ordered to Castlebay to meet me. Sent her off west of Head, patrolled east myself,  Vesta and Roto to Castlebay for water and former to replenish water. Roto returned at 1.00 p.m.  Vesta at 5.00 p.m. Proceeded with Roto at 6.30 p.m. towards Barra Sound to beach and scrub. Wireless received at 7.30 saying submarine coming south so go into Castlebay. Send telegrams and leave again for Barra Head at 10.30. Arrive there at midday and resume patrol.

May 27th – Thursday.

On patrol off Barra Head to East. Vesta and Calliope to West. Fine day, 0.50 p.m. spoke Norwegian S.S. Klasterfoo, Stornoway to Bristol , 2.30 let go port anchor and spoke Calliope. 3.00 p.m. under way again to East, trawlers to West. 3.30 p.m. stopped and picked up mails and stores from Iolaire. 5.40 Castlebay alongside pier for water . Disposition Vanessa, Vesta – Castlebay.  Calliope,Roto – Barra Head.

May 28th – Friday.

Remained alongside pier until 1.50, then sailed and anchored Eriskay Sound at 4.00 p.m. Left at 10.00 p.m. for fishing fleet off            . Fishing fleet in Loch Eynort (South Uist). Turned and steamed south. Strong N.E. wind.

May 29th – Saturday.

Gales. N.E. Arrived Castlebay at 3.00 a.m. Saw Fishery Board Officer at 9.00. Sailed at 11.20 and anchored in Sound of Barra at 1.00 p.m. Remained there.

May 30th – Sunday.

6.00 a.m. passed over command of patrol to Sub Lieut. Jamison and proceed to Stornoway arriving at 2.50 p.m. Remained the night.

May 31st – Monday.

7.00 a.m. went alongside collier. 3.40 p.m. finished coaling. 5.30 p.m. anchor off pier. 8.00 p.m. dined with Admiral. 11.00 p.m. Lt Commander Craig came on board.

June 1st – Tuesday

4.50 prize crew came on board. 5.00 full speed. 7.50 passed destroyers going North. 8.53 Rhouma bound N.N.W.  0.26 p.m. anchored at Malliag and landed prize crew. 5.00 p.m. anchored Loch Scresort (Rhum) 10.25 Left for fishing fleet. From 11.20 ordering fishing boats in who were outside the limits.

June 2nd – Wednesday.

2.20 a.m. Fine. Having ordered 7 fishing boats in. Proceeded to Castlebay. Arriving there at 5.20 a.m. Calliope at Castlebay blowing down boiler. Ordered her and trawlers to Barra Sound tomorrow morning at 9.00 a.m. Craig saw Fishery Officer at 10.30 and we sailed at 11.45 for East Loch Tarbert. 6.00 p.m. Entered East Loch Tarbert. Hersilia not there so proceeded on to Stornoway arriving at 8.45. Landed Craig and remained the night.

June 3rd – Thursday.

Took on board stores for Calliope and sailed t 1.5 p.m. for Barra Sound 9.20 p.m. arrived there. Sent Vesta and Roto to Stornoway. Delivered stores to Calliope and remained.

June 4th – Wednesday.

Strong S.W. wind in morning . Fine in afternoon. 11.00 a.m. left with Calliope astern and proceeded to Castlebay. Sent Calliope and Pavlova to Barra Head to patrol. Recalled both to patrol Minch and intercept S.Service N.o. 10 proceeded 12 miles off and had Pavlova 4 abreast port and Vesta 8 miles astern. Steamed up Minch towards …..8.00 p.m. sighted S.Service N.o. 10 . 8.45 spoke Washington who with Edison is escorting N.o.10. As they are there…… I leave them and proceed back to fishing fleet . At 11.30 I arrived at Oitir Mhor having previously sighted fishing fleet without any lights.

June 5th – Thursday.

Fine day throughout 6.30 out target. 8.30 to 10.00 a.m. at target practice. 11.36 Pavlova and Calliope and Bellinia arrived.1.10 weighed and went through Sound of Barra, fleet following. Pavlova and Bellnia detached at western entrance to patrol off Greian Head. Calliope return to Eriskay with me and anchored.

June 6th – Friday.

Laying at Eriskay. 12.30 p.m. Calliope sent out to relieve Pavlova. 3.00 p.m. Roto arrived 3.15 Pavlova arrived and detailed to take Mr McElfish to Loch Maddy from Castlebay. 4.30 H.M collier Charlston from Scarpa arrived and anchored. 7.00 p.m. Pavlova proceeded North.

June 7th – Saturday.

Fresh breeze. Showery. 7.30 a.m. left Eriskay. 8.50 stopped and spoke Pavlova, ordered her to escort Roto through Barra Sound and bring Bellina 11.00 a.m.    seen here 0.30 p.m. anchored Loch                    landed at K              and saw coast watchers. 2.55 p.m. left 6.15 anchored in Oitir Mhor. 7.00p.m. Rhuma arrived and relieved me and after sending telegram I proceeded towards Troon leaving at 10.50 p.m.

June 8th – Tuesday.

At 3.10 a.m. Skerryvore (light house off isle of Tiree) S72 E57 6.55 dense fog. 7.15 7.20 7.35 casts off lead a/c 4 degrees west. Off Oronsaybut see nothing. Cleared to south at 7.40 still thick to North . 7.35 fog lifted . 10.53 signalled Torhead 6.20 entered harbour of Troon and moored. Half ships company given leave.

June 9th – Wednesday.

Ship dry docked at 8.00 a.m. I deliver confidential papers to Senior Naval Officer Ardrossan and at 8.40 left Troon for Wyvenhoe on leave.

June 10th to June 20th

On leave . Ship in dry dock.

June 21st – Monday
Returned from leave arriving at 9.00p.m.

June 22nd – Tuesday

Inspection. All work done and got my confidential papers from Senior Naval Officer Ardrossan.

June 23rd – Wednesday.

Went out of port and adjusted compasses at 9.00 a.m. and returned alongside at 11.30 a.m. for machinery to be completed.

June 24th – Thursday.

Troon to Stornoway. Machinery having been completed left port at 11.00 a.m. for Stornoway with orders not to pass Skerryvore at dark, so proceed up Sound of Jura. 8.55  3.20 p.m. Mull of            . Find I cannot reach Skerryvore by dark so proceed up Sound of Jura 8.55 Scara Island abeam. Midnight off Ardnamurchan Point. Distance 3. Fine and clear.

June 25th – Friday.

Troon to Stornoway and at Stornoway. Fine with light NE wind which freshened considerably at 4.00a.m. to strong breeze 4-6 a.m. Point abeam 6.45 a.m. Lily Melling signalled us off           Island. 8.45 a.m. Anchored off pier at Stornoway. Laid at Stornoway adjusting machinery and taking in stores.

June 26th – Saturday.

Went out of harbour in launch and inspected. Find release valve H.P. cylinder broken. Get her relieved and order her in.
3.25 under way with           astern. Proceed to Loch Ewe anchored under signal station at 6.48 . 7.50 weighed.  8.15 With            escorting S.S.Squadron N.o.3     11.48 abreast Eilean Trodday. (North Skye)

June 27th – Sunday

Loch Ewe to Belfast. 1.38 a.m. Off      Point. Strong wind S.S. No. 3 only steaming 8 knots. 2.20 increased speed to 115 revs and sheered about to keep station. 4 funnel cruisers bearing west distance 5 miles 10.50 Skerryvore E.N.E. distance about 8 miles 10.30 Spoke H.M.Y. Clementine who asked if I had seen ship in tow. 1.00 p.m. Lazy.
11.30 Arrived head of Belfast Lough and left No. 3 S.S.S.

June 28th – Monday

Belfast to Castlebay. 12.45 a.m. Dense fog. Anchored  9.30 Still dense fog. Left with Basebo following continually losing sight of her. Asked Admiral Lorne to go pass 1 mile of Mull of        approved. So went that way. 1.00 p.m. Mull of        abeam close, thick fog 4.00 p.m. clearing. 8.00 Skerryvore abeam. Midnight off amongst fishing fleet who show no lights.

June 29th – Tuesday.

Castlebay. At 1.00 a.m. anchored at Castlebay. Also anchored. Signalled Maid of          asking when I should come aboard. Reply 7.00.a.m.  7.00 went aboard Maid of         and reported arrival. Took over command of District C.   Pavlova arrived at 8.00 . Ijuin at 7.00 .Bellina sailed at 6.00 a.m. for Stornaway . Lacerta and Dragon arrived at 11.00 . Sent Ijuin out at 11.00 a.m. to patrol off Barra Head with Princess Alice, who is escorting S.S Cowrie. Sent Sasebo and Lacerta to patrol Minch from             to Skerryvore . They returned at 10.00 having seen nothing.

June 30th – Wednesday.

At Eriskay and Oitir Mhor. At 8.00 Ijuin arrived and anchored. Had skipper on board and explained new system of patrol. Brayon to act as bona fide trawler with awing over fish room, red ensign, 2 wires on kite and to make herself look like a trawler. Pavlova in charge with Sasebo and Injiun. They keep within sight and hearing action of Dragon on each quarter. Celendine brought mails and was ordered to go out in Minch to look for Erin. 11.30 Princess Alice arrived and ordered to go to sea at 6.00 p.m. to fishing fleet and to lay amongst them in case of submarine attack. Lacerta sent to Eriskay off          but she anchored north of Eriskay. I left at noon for Inner Oitir Mhor and arrived at 1.20 p.m. Digby away to recall Lacerta. Cowrie. Oil tank . Princess Alice and          relieved 14’EGS of Barra Head of Nettie Braddock and fishing 9.15.

July 1st – Thursday.

To position in Atlantic. 5.40 a.m. Princess Alice arrived from        7.40 Lacerto sailed for western patrol. 10.50 a.m. on receipt of wireless directing me to take two trawlers and go to 57.20 N 10.40 west I weighed and proceeded through Sound of Barra. 2.20 stopped and gave Pavlova orders. Detached Sasebo and Lacerta and took them with me. Steaming line abreast 3 cables apart for position prom Admirals wireless at 10.00 p.m. saying B.T. Columsbella was towing cruiser. Wired her said she required no escort but Digby did. Cannot get in touch with Digby. Weather         . Midnight a moderate gale and confused sea, much rain.

July 2nd – Friday

From position in Atlantic to Castlebay. 1.00a.m. at indicated position. Steamed to stern wind and sea. No word from towing ship. Overcast. Hazy and continuous rain. 2.00 a.m Edison and Remo arrived from St Kitts having seen nothing on route having not met two and cannot get into W/T touch with her, ordered Edison and Romo back to St Kilda and proceed with Sasebo and Lacerta back to patrol. Blowing very hard and a big sea. 3.50 p.m. passed through sound of Pebby. Cannot see patrol. 4.20 p.m at Castlebay. Find Pavlova, Princess Alice and Ijuim sheltering (sic). Send Pavlova to Stornaway. Princess Alice and Ijium to
To look for submarine, also Celandine to fishing fleet and indicator nets during day. Sasebo, Lacerta and              in port with me. 11.00 p.m. Colanthe arrived and took over command of district C.

July 3rd – Saturday.

Salome arrived at 2.00 a.m. and was ordered out to patrol with Melling off Barra Head to intercept Swedish S.S.       .9.30 a.m. I sailed for Stornoway. 11.00 a.m. a/c 16              to speak to steamer on quarter who was Penn Danish S.S. bound Liverpool to Copenhagen. Spoke Sasebo bound to Stornoway to keep look out for                  and returned to course. 3.45 spoke Roto off Glas Island. She had not seen         5.55 entered port of Stornaway and anchored.

July 4th – Sunday

To wreck off Noerinish Point .? 1.45 Carpenters, divers and gunner came on board with diving gear from “Mancho”. 1.55 Admiral came on board and sailed 4.30 arrived Ru R         (?) collier transport “Tandill” ashore on           rock fore 1-2 deep tank full. She had 4400 tons coal on board. 8.40 p.m. left after giving orders to Walwyns Castle. 9.00 a/c 16 pts. Went back to speak to Walwyns Castle again to give her further orders and then set course for Stornoway again. 10.50 p.m. Keback Head bore N/NW distance 2’ a/c S 7 degrees E Hearing by w/t that H.M.Y. Pearl is ashore at Strathaird Point.

July 5th – Monday.

At wreck of Pearl at Strathaird Point. 3.20 a.m. Stopped off Kyle of Loch to land Admiral’s mails. 3.55 proceeded. 6.30 arrived at wreck of Pearl at Strathaird went on board and laid out wires to Washington and Oriole who were anchored off . All hands turned to on board from all ships to lighten her by throwing coal over board and towed from 11.51 to 12 noon. No go         very badly but not holed. Continued dumping coal at 11.20 p.m. towed again. No result. Decided must leave her until tide makes again, too little water. Hold Court of Inquiry at 4.00 p.m from evidence of skipper, engineer and mate. Find skipper guilty off gross negligence.

July 6th – Tuesday.

Strathaired to R          and Stornoway.  1.20 Admiral, self and salvaging party returned on board, leaving wreck in charge of Washington. 1.45a.m. left. 6.30 arrived wreck of Tandil. Admiral gave orders to Maid of Honour. 7.20 left vicinity of wreck and proceeded to Stornoway. 9.30 entered harbour and went alongside hulk. Started to bunk 5.30 finished. Edison wrecked last night on North West coast of Lewis.

July 7th and July 8th

At Stornoway adjusting machinery.

July 9th – Friday.

Stornoway to          Point and Rodel Strong S.W. wind and thick misty rain 10.20 a.m. Took Miss Kennedy, nurse for St Kilda on board. 11.50 Admiral came on board and sailed. 2.00 p.m. arrived         point and Admiral went on board Tindal in lifeboat, nasty sea. He then went to Maid of Honour and returned to Vanessa for his papers and returned to Maid of Honour. She proceeding to Stornaway at 3.50 and we proceeding towards Sound of Harris 4.50 p.m. Very thick with fine rain. Anchored at Rodel. 7.00 Ordered steam but came over thick again. 8.00 moderate gale S.W. thick with fine rain, decided to remain night.

July 10th – Saturday.

3.45 weighed. 4.00 a.m. entered Sound of Harris. Strong N.W. wind big sea in Atlantic 9.00 a.m. let go at St Kilda, landed stores, luggage and Miss Kennedy and took on board Miss Acheson. Sailed at noon for Malliag. 3.25 p.m. passed through sound of           . 4.00 p.m. slowed thick showers of misty rain. 4.10 p.m. full speed through Sound of Harris. Very thick at times. Continuing thick throughout until arrival at Malliag at 10.50 anchored, landed St Kilda mails, passenger and luggage.

July 11th – Sunday.

Ru Reibinish. Midnight. Misty rain, fresh N.W sailed. 7.10 arrived Ru
And went on board. 8.00 a.m. S.S Linet came on alongside wreck. Maid of Honour arrived and relieved me. 4.00 p.m. weighed and proceeded to Stornoway and anchored.

July 12th – Monday.

To Ru         and Butt.   Alongside pier at Stornoway until 2.45 when I left with Admiral on board. Proceeded to Ru       and Admiral boarded wreck. Afterwards Young came over from Malliag in Lorna and boarded wreck with Admiral. Returned to entrance of Stornoway and Admiral left in his motor boat at 11.15 p.m. I then proceed to fishing fleet and find all inside their limits.

July 13th – Tuesday.

3.10 Spoke Princess Alice off Butt who reported Hensilia having passed at 2.10 steaming full speed E.NE. Go in that direction and vessel steering NE.E.  Chase her for some time but cannot be sure it is Hensilia so return and anchor at Port of Ness. Cannot get in W/T touch with Hensilia at 6.00 a.m. but manage it at 9.00. He says making for Port of Ness. 12.30 p.m. Hensilia boards and I take over patrol. He gives me 11 trawlers but I find only 9 Ijuin and Calliope having gone to Stornaway by whose orders I do not know. 2.35 left and proceed to Butt patrol take Melling from there to Brearblete Bay for rest 8.00 p.m.                arrived  9.50 Drifters arrived. Disposition at 6.00 p.m. Melling, Vanessa, Breacliet, H.Coast, Swan, Norgand, Flannian, Princess Alice, Sasebo and Roto – Butt, also drifters. Castle, Bush, Ijuin and Calliope – St Kilda. Later disposition according to Hensilia information.

July 14th – Wednesday.

To St Kilda and around the patrol. Melling and drifters sailed for Flannans 10.20 weighed. Went out to meet East Coast. Too much sea for him to board so go to anchor at noon at Carloway. Lieut Going came on board and I gave him instructions regarding Butt patrol . 1.00 p.m. weighed 2.30 out target. Tube in port gun, 80 rounds, then 12 rounds of practice, very good shooting by standard gunner Martin and good by port gun Tribe. 3.15 picked up target. 3.30 dispatched Princess Alice by W/T through East Coast to escort S/S Lisken to 10 miles north of Rona. Disposition at 6,00 p.m. Melling and                with drifters NW from       East Coast, and Roto – Butt. Pointy Castle and Bush at St Kilda.Sasbo and Swan – Carloway for rest. 8.00 arrived St Kilda . 10.00 p.m. left with Bush for Flannans.

July 15th – Thursday.

On patrol Flannans (island near St Kilda) etc. 4.00 a.m. Off Flannans spoke Norgand and Coulard Bunk. Lily Melling having taken Swedish S.S. Osterland to Butt where she left her with Caldy to take her to Stornoway. 7.30 a.m. at Carlo way . 2.00 p.m. sailed . 4.00 p.m. of Butt with patrol. 8.00 p.m. left 9.00 p.m. off Flannans with patrol.
Disposition at 6.00 Vanessa – East Coast, Bush, Butt, Champion and Mary Stephens off Butt. Roto off Butt going to rest at Carloway. Swan, Sasebo, Novgana – Flannans, Lily Melling going to whaling station, Coulard Bank and Celandine – Carloway repairing nets. Princess Alice. Brescleit, pointy Castle – St Kilda. Caldy bound from Butt to St Kilda. 11.00.p.m. arrived Carloway and anchored.

July 16th – Friday.

1.15 a.m. Calliope arrived. Laying in Carloway, cleaning up all guns. Making rafts, boat drill and drill generally.
7.30 p.m. Received W/T to intercept Haarlem. Proceeded to Butt and stretched patrol out NNE of Lt 10’ – 15’ with orders to intercept. Then steamed out to Flannans and spoke H.M.S. Duke of Cornwall. Disposition at 7.00 Vanessa, East Coast – Carloway. Novgard coming in from Flannans. Melling, Pointy Castle, Sasebo, Celndine, Mary Stephens, Coulard Bank – Flannans. Drifters having nets out N,N of Lt 5 from 5 to 5.00 a.m.  Princess Alice and Bush at Butt. Roto with fishing fleet East of Butt. Caldy and Calliope at St Kilda.

July 17th – Saturday.

Carloway to Flannans and St Kilda. 0.40 a.m. Anchored Carloway. Took stores on board expecting Princess Alice’s, Bush and Roto. Sent Mary B with these to Butt. Received wire of submarine. 9.00 a.m. weighed and proceeded to Flannans anchoring there at 11.20 a.m. Sea too big tranship stores at sea. All trawlers and drifters closed and took stores in. Went up to lighthouse and spoke to keepers who told me of the submarines they saw in June. Sasebo boiler water at 4, ordered him to whaling station, bow down and refill. Sailed at 1.45 arrived at St Kilda 5.30 Left 5.40 submarine being reported seen by natives at about 5 o’clock going north. Told trawlers Calliope and Caldy who were off S.E edge of island to follow at full speed. Set off myself at full speed 60 degrees E. search round at full speed in that direction for 28 miles and then returned on another course making NW side of St Kilda anchored with trawlers at 10.25 in bay.

July 18th – Sunday.

Left St Kilda at 2.00 p.m. and steamed towards Flannans patrol, sighted them and proceeded to Carloway, arrived there at 8.00 p.m. Princess Alice there. Disposition at 6.00 p.m. Vanessa, Melling, Sasebo and Noogaurd off Flannnans. Bush, East Coast, Cardiff Castle off Butt. Calliope and Caldy at St Kilda. Princess Alice, Celandine and Coulard Bank at Carloway. Roto at Stornaway.

July 19th – Monday.

Carloway and Breacleate to whaling station and then to West Loch Tarbert. 0.40 Fresh gale 9. Let go second anchor, 3 shackels st. and port. 9.40 left and proceeded Breaclete. Unable to get through telephone, some breakdown. 1.15 left moderate gale 8, enough sea. 4.00 Princess Alice passed bound north. 4.40 at whaling station, took in water. 7.10 anchor at West Loch Tarbert.
Disposition 7.00 p.m. Princess Alice, Noogaurd, Sasebo off Flannans. East Coast, Cardiff Castle. Bush off Butt. Calliope and Caldy at St Kilda. Lily Melling to Stornaway. Swan in passage to patrol. Vanessa at whaling Station.

July 20th – Tuesday.

West Loch Tarbert, Flannans, Butt and Breaclete and to St Kilda. Moderate gale N.W. 7. Heavy squalls. 8.12 a.m. sailed heavy sea outside. 11.30 signalled Flannans Lighthouse what big patrol last seen. Proceeded to patrol and got store lists. Noon wind and sea moderating. 6.00 p.m. left patrol and proceeded to Breaclete Bay. Got store lists and made telegram out for same. Ordered East Coast, Coulard and Celandine to sail for Stornoway tomorrow morning. Butt as the leaders have no wireless, is ordered to make Butt every three hours to see if they have anything to communicate. 11.40 p.m. sailed. Weather dirty.

July 21st – Wednesday.

Breaclete to St Kilda and back to Breaclete. 4.00 a.m. moderate gale 8 N.W. Shipping quantities of water 6.35 let go in Village Bay. Get signal code from shore for submarines sighted. Sailed at11.20 a.m. giving missionary a passage to Breaclete. Wind and sea moderating. 2.00 p.m. W/T ordered to coat tomorrow. 4.00 p.m. W/T to make necessary dispositions. 2 submarines coming south and past Flannans between 9.00p.m. today and 9.00 p.m. tomorrow. Proceed Breaclete ordered Sasebo to Flannans giving her orders for Princeess Alice. Cardiff Castle not arrived so left to meet her. At 8.50 sent her to Flannans patrol. Stayed on patrol until 10.00 p.m. then proceeded to Stornoway, Speaking Lily Melling off Butt.
Disposition 9.00 p.m. Princess Alice, Noogaurd, Sasebo, Roto, Cardiff Castle – Flannans. Lily Melling, Swan, and Bush – Butt. Calliope and Caldy – St Kilda .  Vanessa – Butt.

July 22nd – Thursday.

Arrived Stornoway. 1.20 a.m. Went alongside collier at Stornoway. Commenced coaling at 8.45 finished 4.00 p.m.  Went to anchorage. Landed anchor crown at 9.00 a.m. for repairs.

July 23rd – Friday.

Sailed from Stornoway at 6.00 p.m. and arrived at Breaclete at 11.00 p.m. Went on board Iolaire to take over but did not see Rear Admiral so returned on board. Midnight at anchor at Breaclete. Dispositions. Swan, Bush – Butt. Celendine, Champion Command and WJR at Breaclete. Lily Melling, Noogaurd, Cardiff Castle, Roto – Flannans. Calliope and Calay – St Kilda. Princess Alice and Sasebo at Caarloway.

July 24th- – Saturday.

Breaclete and Flannans and St Kilda. Iolaire sailed at 8.00 p.m. I sailed at 10.00 after giving drifters orders to set Flannans nets in one line and one drifter to ride on end and let the others stand by her close. Gave mails to Cardiff Castle and Roto on my way to Flannans. Anchored under Flannans and Lily Melling came into sound. I then sailed at 4.00 p.m. for St Kilda arriving there at 8.00 p.m. Landed Sargent of Marines and mails and took in mails and sailed at 11.00 p.m.
Disposition at 6.00 p.m. Vanessa N.E. off St Kilda, Calliope and Caldy at St Kilda. Lily Melling, Sasebo and Noogaurd N.W. off Flannans with drifters and nets out. Pointy Castle to come and relieve Lily Melling. Princess Alice and Bush – Butt. Swan to Stornoway from E.W.

July 25th – Sunday.

Patrol.  Cruised about on patrol and went into Gmhunnsuidhe (Harris) in morning to land mails . Left again at 11.00 a.m. and proceeded to Flannans. Got a belated telegram from Admiral to send two trawlers to Rona. 1.20 p.m. spoke to Norwegian S.S Sonjar from Glasgow – all correct let her go. Proceeded patrol with Lily Melling. Noogaurd standing by net drifters all nets out one drifter hanging on lee end. Disposition Vanessa, Lily Melling, Noogaurd, Champion Vonemara, W.J.R – Flannans. Princess Alice , Bush, – Butt. Calliope and Caldy – St Kilda. Cardiff Castle – Carloway. Celandine don’t know where.

This page was added on 26/10/2016.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published.