The steam launch Edward VII was built of teak by Forrestt & Son Ltd for Colchester Corporation for the Colne River Police. The contract price was £1300, and she was completed in 1902 as yard number 464. The launch was 44’0″ overall length, or 41’0″ registered by 10’0″ beam and 3’6″draft. The Colchester engineering firm of A. G. Mumford Ltd of Culver Street made the 52ihp two cylinder compound engine which drove her at 9mph. In 1913 the boat was converted to a motor a launch with a Britannia Iron Works oil engine of 50bhp. The Britannia factory was on the site of what is now the Colchester Town Station car park.
Colne River Police boat
Built to defend the oysters!
John Collins (Nottage Maritime Institute)
This page was added on 12/04/2015.