Pictured above is Dr. Edward Herbert Squire in about 1903 riding in his carriage with his family. Dr Edward is the second generation of Squires to have practised medicine in Wivenhoe.
Dr. Samuel Nathaniel Squire was the first of the Squires to have come to Wivenhoe. He was born in Pakefield, Suffolk in 1826, and had moved to Wivenhoe by 1861 to start his medical practice in West Street, in Colne House, opposite Bath St. The entrance for his carriage was next door to Number 5 Station Road; the double gates are still there today.
He had 8 children altogether; his second son Edward Herbert, born in 1859, joined his father in the Wivenhoe Practice.
Edward marries Georgiana Annie Corsellis Lawton in 1892 and they have four children. He is the Squire in this photograph. with his wife, Georgiana, and three sons, Edward, Ivan, and Felix. Their first-born son Edward Corsellis died in infancy.
The Squires were the village doctors for quite a long time. They arrived in Wivenhoe around 1860 and practised here until some time after 1900.