About the Corsellis family vault in Wivenhoe's Old Cemetery
Last opened on 19th May 2016
The Corsellis family monument has stood regally in the middle of Wivenhoe’s Old Cemetery since the Cemetery was opened in the mid-1800s.
It was opened for the first time for a very long time on 19th May 2016 to receive the cremated remains of David Corsellis Heal who had lived in London.
The Corsellis family at one time owned Wivenhoe Hall (acquired from the Townshend family in 1657) with substantial holdings of land in Wivenhoe. This included that area we know today as the King George V playing field and all of the land above the Park Hotel on either side of what is now The Avenue but then little more than a cart track to The Cross.