St Mary's Church pre and post the earthquake
A picture of the Church before and after the earthquake in 1884
Posted by Peter Hill
This is one of the first known pictures of St Mary’s Church which was probably taken in the 1870s. Notice the lantern supported on an iron frame above the entrance to the churchyard as well as the trees and the gravestones.
The top of the Church tower was damaged in consequence of the 1884 earthquake. It is not possible to see whether the lantern survived the earthquake from this picture, but they were certainly replaced in 1901 when Eliza Howard paid for new gates to be installed.
To read the story about the Earthquake – click here
The gravestones were removed by Wivenhoe Urban District Council in the 1950s and placed around the edge of the churchyard when the Council took over responsibility for managing it.