The Church Bells
Restored in 1998 after an appeal for funds
Page created by Peter Hill
Bells in the tower were first installed in 1802; these had been cast by Thomas Mears of London. These however had become cracked and beyond repair. They were replaced by a fresh set of bells in 1905 which had been cast by Mears and Stainbank Foundry in London.
In 1998, these bells were sent away for restoration and re-tuning, money for which was raised by the Wivenhoe community, donations from charitable trusts and a grant from the Millennium Commission. The restoration work was done by Whites of Appleton and the re-tuning by the Whitechapel Bell Foundry.
Each bell bears an inscription as follows:
Tenor: This peal of bells was recast and rehung AD 1905. The cost was defrayed by public subscription. Sinclair Carolyn MA Rector F. C. Price & J. E. Heath, Churchwardens
5th Bell: Lord may this bell for ever be a tuneful voice o’er land and sea, To call thy people unto thee.
4th Bell: For the honour of God and the use of this Church, these bells were raised.
3rd Bell: When sweetly chimes this bell O’er sea and hill and dell May Jesus Christ be praised.
2nd Bell: Prosperity to this Church and Parish.
Treble: May God bless all whom we call
To commemorate the 1998 restoration, a brass plaque has been placed on the tenor headstock which reads:
“This peal of bells was restored, re-tuned and rehung in 1998.
Revd. David Thomas Rector
John Williams Churchwarden
Joan Barratt Churchwarden
Adrienne Wood Tower Captain
Restoration work by Whites of Appleton
Re-tuning by Whitechapel Bell Foundry
|Tenor||2′-11″||1905||Mears & Stainbank||7-0-07|
|5th||2′-77/,6“||1905||Mears & Stainbank||5-1-08|
|4»||2′ -53/8“||1905||Mears & Stainbank||4-2-04|
|3rd||2′-47/16“||1905||Mears & Stainbank||4-1-02|
|2nd||2′-23/8“||1905||Mears & Stainbank||3-2-24|
|Treble||2′-03/4“||1905||Mears & Stainbank||3-1-13|
History of the Bells
A bell for had been bought for the tower in 1564, the tower having been built around 1500 and plastered on its outside walls in 1563. The main bell was broken in 1590. There were five bells in 1768. In 1905 the peal of six bells referred to above replaced one of a similar number of 1802.
A church clock was mentioned in 1613 and, subsequently, a clock with a bell was presented by Matthew Martin (d. 1749). To see a picture of this clock mechanism in the Wivenhoe Chapel Museum – click here
Source: British History On-line