About the Park Hotel on the High Street
John Stewart, Wivenhoe Memories
The Park Hotel was built around 1862 on land which was previously part of the Wivenhoe Park House and estate.
It is shown on the deeds of Elizabeth Eade as a building plot, together with a number of other plots, including a new road to be called Rebow Road.
The Park Hotel was named after the Wivenhoe Park mansion house which would have stood at what is now the corner of Park Road and Rebow Road, the home of William Brummell, brother of Beau Brummell. These roads would not have course existed without the demolition of Wivenhoe Park house.
For more information about William Brummell and Wivenhoe Park house, click here