History of the Wyvenhoe Board School
Opened on 16 September 1891
This history of the establishment and early years of the Wivenhoe Board School on Phillip Road, Wivenhoe was put together as part of an application to English Heritage in March 2008 to gain listed status for the school. It contains information about the architect of the school and the reasons why the school should be listed so that it could be retained and preserved as a community resource for the use of Wivenhoe residents. Although English Heritage decided that the school was not distinctive enough to be added to the National Heritage Register it was recommended that it be added to the local list. Although Colchester did not have a local list at the time a Wivenhoe Local List was established and adopted in March 2012 and the Phillip Road School was then added to the list.
The application to English Heritage can be viewed in the list of downloads below.
The external and internal photographs of the school accompanying the application can be viewed at:
There is also a set of Transcripts from the Essex Standard which entertainingly record the meetings with regard to Wivenhoe and the School Board Question 1886-91 as reported in the Essex County Standard and Ipswich Journal of the day at:
And a paper entitled ‘A Social History of Schools Organisation and Planning in the Nineteenth Century, up to the Education Act 1870’ which outlines the impact that the 1870 Education Act had on setting up a national system of free and compulsory education and this can also be viewed in the list of downloads below.