The land was purchased for use as a cemetery and consecrated in 1858. Essex Record Office hold the consecration papers and plan (D/CC 9/3). The ground contains burials of many key Wivenhoe families and the Society for Family History has a disk (NE Essex Vol 1) which contains all the Monumental Inscriptions. The Old Cemetery is maintained in a semi-wild state to encourage wild life by Wivenhoe Town Council.
As described on the Wivenhoe Local List adopted by Colchester Borough Council in March 2012.
See also about the Corsellis family vault in the Old Cemetery – Click here