The Workhouse Master's House
Built next to the former Wivenhoe Workhouse on Colchester Road
Summary by Pat Marsden
The ‘Workhouse Master’s House’ as we see it today is an eighteenth century brick house with a hipped tile roof and matching sash windows. There is a (modern) plaque on the front dated 1734. Extensions and alterations have effectively doubled the size of the original building which stood next to the former Wivenhoe Workhouse (now known as ‘Toad Hall’) which is on the National Heritage Register (LB421505).
References to the Workhouse
Butler, N., ‘The Story of Wivenhoe’ (1989), pp57-60
‘Victoria County History of Essex’, Vol X (2001), pp288-290
As described on the Wivenhoe Local List adopted by Colchester Borough Council in March 2012.