1-11 Anglesea Road is a row of eleven red brick houses with intact door cases, known as ‘Captains’ Row’ because many of the local sea-captains lived here. Built circa 1863, the houses overlooked the Ballast Quay with uninterrupted views of the river to the south-east. The road still retains its unadopted status. In ‘The Story of Wivenhoe’, Nicholas Butler states that many of the captains also owned properties in the High Street or in Belle Vue Road. ‘Their wives were often obliged to keep their houses as immaculate as their boats, and, up to a point, in the same manner. Doors were picked out in gold leaf and steps covered in brass like the bows and gangplanks of the big yachts.’ Apparently the Rose and Crown public house also had a ‘Captains’ Room’ situated where the bow window overlooks the quay.
As described on the Wivenhoe Local List, adopted by Colchester Borough Council in March 2012.