Wivenhoe. A Portrait in Old Pictures
By David Craze, S. B. Publications, 1998, ISBN 1857701682, 86pp (Essex County Libraries E.WIV)
Added by Pat Marsden
A nostalgic portrait of Wivenhoe illustrated by old and rare postcards of events and persons of Wivenhoe, mostly published in between 1900 and the 1940s. The postcards are arranged as a tour of Wivenhoe, starting on the quay and moving up through the town, taking in some interesting buildings in the way. There are postcards of the Quay, Forrestts Shipyard c 1920, the Dry Dock, Wivenhoe Ferry, various vessels, Anglesea Rd, Garrison House, West St (formerly Hog Lane), the Shipwrights Arms, the Congregational Chapel, Anchor Hill, War Memorial, St Mary’s Church, Grosvenor House, Station Road, Wivenhoe Railway Station (built 1863) circa 1930, High Street circa 1900, Park Hotel, Forresters Hall, The Avenue, The Ropery (closed in 1899), The Cross, Horse and Groom, Sawmill, First World War photos, Wivenhoe Monoplane, the Silver Queen bus (first bus to travel in Wivenhoe), various celebrations, Wivenhoe Town Football Club, Wivenhoe Cricket Club, Auxiliary Fire Service, Sir John Martin-Harvey.