GW Morris Butchers and Barton’s Stores 43 High Street
High Street Project Team
By 1918 GW Morris Butchers had closed and was a private dwelling belonging to Mr Havens and his daughter Polly.
Len Barton’s grocers opened after WW2. In 1972 he bought the property opposite to the shop that had once belonged to Stacey Wood.
In the 1980s, the son and daughter-in-law of Alberto Semprini, opened and ran the Talisman, a gift shop in the premises. The internationally famous pianist and composer, Alberto Semprini, lived in Wivenhoe, in the house called Price’s House, in Bethany Street. See more about Semprini.