High Street Project Team
Walter Jolliffe was a job master using the yard behind the arch off the High Street to store his tumbril (cart) and possibly sacks of coal. The yard extended behind through to Chapel Road where he stabled his horse.
In 1911, Walter lived at the Anglesea Arms in Queens Road with his wife Elizabeth (widow of Mr Bowes, the former landlord) and her 3 boys.
Two brothers, Joseph and Frederick, took over the general haulage and coal delivery business, still using a horse and cart at Jolliffe’s Yard. The bill above shows that they kept the name W. Jolliffe. A third brother owned Ballast Quay Farm, the pits (where Dene Park Estate is now) and the marsh, most recently named Ferry Marsh.
The coal arrived by rail and then could be stored on family land on the marsh.
Coal was also used for coal fire heating and also the manufacture of gas for street and home lighting.
Resources: Census information and Wivenhoe Remembered interview with John Bowes by Paul Thompson