Harry Peck bought the land to start the garage business in 1927 and got his son, Cedric, to manage it for him. It was for this reason it became known as Cedrics Garage. Harry Peck continued as an employee of the paper company in London for whom he worked until he retired after WW2. As well as being an employee, he had business flair and imagination as well as the energy to maintain these several interests; he owned an antiques business, an interest in breeding exotic birds and two other garages.
At the sale of land from the Wivenhoe Hall estate Harry also bought a large plot of land which stretched from The Avenue to Wivenhoe Woods, and to Rosabelle Avenue to the north although this road was not to be created until long after 1928. It was on this land that Harry had a very nice built to his own specifications, Oswald House.
But it was through his son’s hard work that Cedrics Garage grew and thrived.
For more information about Harry William Peck – click here