Old Congregational Chapel
Later known as 'River Lodge' on West Street.
Added by Pat Marsden
The first purpose-built Congregational Chapel was built in 1805 on West Street; a large but plain two-storey red brick building. The Chapel also included a schoolroom sufficient for twenty children, known as the British School. The school closed in 1870 and the building was later used as a garage by North Sea Canners. It was later converted into residential use and known as ‘River Lodge’, or 4a West Street. It was replaced by a new chapel (LB42166 ‘Riverhouse’) in 1847 on the south side of West Street.
Butler, N., ‘The Story of Wivenhoe’ (1989), p95
Gordon, The Rev. C., ‘Wivenhoe Congregational Church’ (1966)
OS Map 1875 shows the building and graveyard.
As described on the Wivenhoe Local List, adopted by Colchester Borough Council in March 2012.