Alfred Ellis - Ironmonger and Ships Chandler
At 66 The High Street
High Street Research Team
In 1910 Alfred Ellis borrowed money from his father to buy the two cottages – 2 Queens Road and 64 High St, by the Greyhound Pub.
He built the shop on the corner for his business as an ironmonger and ships chandler. During the war he served as a Private in the Army Service Corps, but kept his business going.
Ironmongers dealt in household items made of metal – kettles, coalscuttles, tin baths, cutlery etc. Plus tools for the house and garden: e.g. hammers, nails, spades, woodworking tools. People could not afford to buy new items often and men and women were adept at making, mending and renovating their possessions, particularly during wartime when there were shortages of materials.
The chandlery side of the business, serving the yachting community, would have suffered during the war as yachts were commandeered for war work and leisure sailing ceased.
The shop later became owned by Percy Chaney – click here
- Kelly’s Directory 1922
- Victoria County History of Essex, p.286;
- Transcribed deeds of 2 Queens Road on the Wivenhoe History Archive – click here