The Landlords and Breweries of Wivenhoe's beerhouses, public houses and hotels
A summary of the landlords and brewery ownership
The attached PDF document ( see link below) contains a summary of the following information that was collated while researching 24 of the public houses, beerhouses and hotels for the Wivenhoe Pub Trail in 2020:
- Location of the building
- Date of opening and closure
- Record of brewery ownership
The pubs are arranged in alphabetical order by name. The information is not complete but continues to be updated as more information comes to light.
- Ale House Recognizances held at Essex Record Office
- Butler N, Notes taken for the book “The Story of Wivenhoe”, Quentin Press Wivenhoe, 1989.
- Cooper J (editor), “History of the County of Essex. Vol X, Lexden Hundred. (Known as the Victoria County History) 2001
- Garland T, “The watering Holes of Wivenhoe”, website: http://www.terrygarland.co.uk/wivenhoe_pubs.html
- Kay P, “Wivenhoe Pubs”, published by Peter Kay 2003.
- Kelly’s Directory of Essex, Hertfordshire and Middlesex.
- Register of Licences for Lexden and Winstree 1911 – 1969 held at Essex Record Office