Vosper & Co. Ltd, Wivenhoe
The answer to a wartime emergency
John Collins (Nottage Maritime Institute)
In July 1941 Vosper & Co. Ltd took over Husk & Son’s yard, and the former premises of Cox & King. They needed a safer place to build wooden MTBs after bombing had threatened to destroy their Portsmouth yard.
A large hanger-like building shed was constructed over the slipways. This shed was not just to protect the workmen, but was mainly to provide a warm environment for the synthetic resin glue used to set hard, and also to allow work to proceed after sunset during the blackout. Before they closed in 1946, a total of eighteen boats had been built and thirty five repaired.