The Old Manse

40 The High Street (The Congregational Church Manse up to 1939)

High Street Research Team

The old Congregational Church Manse in the High Street
Wivenhoe Memories Collection

High Street Trail index – click here

The Manse, or ‘The Limes’, was the original home of the incumbent of the Congregational Church, which was then in West Street.  It was built in grand Colonial style, the front door being framed by fluted wooden pillars; however the main core of the house was wattle & daub with render over it.

In 1927, the Rev. G.H.Crisp felt that a new image within the community was necessary and a Manse would give substance and dignity to his office.  He said that he wanted the pillared Manse in the High Street or he would resign.  He stayed for 3 years but it remained as property of the Congregational Church until 1939.

The Congregational Church purchased the ‘Gardener’s Cottage’ now ‘The Folly’ in 1956, and that then became the new Manse until 1970 when the Church purchased a property in Elm Grove.

The Manse is a Grade II listed building and is now a private house.

Read more about the history of the Congregational Church

During WW2 soldiers were billeted at the Manse

High Street Trail index – click here

Sources:  ‘Wivenhoe Congregational Church’ Booklet produced in 1966.

 

This page was added on 02/08/2018.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Share this
Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterPin on PinterestShare on Google+Email this to someone