The Steamer 'Tern' at Windermere
Built by Forrestt and Sons 1891
Added by Pat Marsden
Traffic on Windermere Lake grew rapidly in Victorian years and in 1890 the Furness Railway commissioned Forrestt & Sons of Wyvenhoe (sic), Essex, to design and build a new Steamer. Originally to be called Swallow, a last minute change of heart resulted in the vessel being named Tern. The Steamer was launched in June 1891 with a passenger capacity of 633 and still sails today as the flagship of the Windermere fleet.
Extract from the poster displayed at the Bowness landing stage.