By Peter Kay, Peter Kay, 2003, 29pp (Essex County Libraries E.WIV)
Summary by Pat Marsden
A general historical introduction to public houses and their signs followed by a more specific outline of pubs in Wivenhoe from the 18th century onward. In 1769 Wivenhoe had eight licensed establishments, the majority of which saw themselves as ‘inns’. Several more ‘beerhouses’ opened in the 19th century but the number declined after 1900 in the anti-pub campaign of magistrates. There have been 23 pubs in Wivenhoe at different times, now reduced to 7. Refers to ‘Maltings House’ on the High St and the 1871 Census of Wivenhoe which lists all the inhabitants of each pub, including the Hams and the Harveys, two well-known families of the town. By 1880s all the pubs had been taken over by Colchester breweries. There are detailed references to each pub since 1769 with some early photographs and an Ordinance Survey map of 1876 showing the location of pubs at that time. The booklet concludes with lists of the licensees of Wivenhoe’s remaining pubs from 1769 – 1969.