History of Parr’s Bank
- Late 18th Century bank established as a partnership in Warrington, Cheshire.
- 1865 Became a joint stock bank under the name Parr’s Banking Company with branches in Runcorn and St. Helens.
- 1890 Bank had grown to 22 branches and 21 sub-branches.
- 1891 Purchased a small London bank to gain a London presence and a seat on the London Clearing House. Head office was immediately moved down to London.
- 1892 Acquired the Alliance Bank with its 12 branches in London.
- 1909 Acquired Stuckey’s Bank, Somerset. The enlarged bank had deposits of £38 million making it the sixth largest joint stock bank in England.
- By 1914 Parr’s had almost 400 branches and sub-branches.
Parr’s Bank in Wivenhoe
- 1899 Branch opened at 33 High Street (next to Bryan’s Newsagent). A circular of 8 December 1899 states “A sub-branch is open on Wednesdays and Saturdays under the management of our Colchester Office”.
- 1918 Parr’s Bank merged with London County & Westminster Bank to become London County Westminster and Parr’s Bank.
- 1923 Shortened its name to Westminster Bank.
- 19 June 1940 the branch closed temporarily during the war.
- 12 May 1953 bank re-opened.
- 18 April 1958 bank finally closed for good.
NOTE: National Westminster Bank established in January 1970 following the merger of Westminster Bank and National Provincial Bank along with National Provincial’s subsidiary District Bank. NatWest was eventually taken over by Royal Bank of Scotland.