No 2 East Street and Nonsuch House, Black Buoy Hill (formerly No 1 East Street 1875-1971)

Transcripts of deeds, plans and photos of the listed building

Added by Pat Marsden

No 2 East Street and Nonsuch House, Black Buoy Hill  (formerly No 1 East Street), are Included on the Historic England list of Listed Buildings as Grade II [List Entry No 122523]. They are described as a C17 range, fronted on the north by a later range one bay deep, in East Street. This north frontage is of red brick in Flemish-bond with a slated ridge and gabled roof. There is a row of 6 small panel sashes on the first storey under the eaves. The ground floor east has one plain door and a fixed 16 pane window on the left under a straight arch. There is a shop-front on the ground storey with 4 fluted wooden pilasters and patera at the crossings of its hood. Two plain doors centrally and 2 small-paned sashes.

We can’t be sure where the name for Nonsuch House came from although as so often in Wivenhoe it may have been named after a boat, possibly  the Nonsuch (built by Roger Page in 1650) which sailed to Hudson’s Bay (Canada) in 1668–9.

We haven’t yet come across copies of early deeds but we have transcribed copies of deeds relating to 1875-1971 and found a couple of plans attached to these which show the outline of the parcel and an additional plot of garden which was added to the original parcel in 1949.

You can see a summary of the deeds here and two transcribed deeds are available as a download below.

Summary of Deeds relating to No 2 East St and Nonsuch House, Wivenhoe (1875 -1971)

22 May 1875

An Indenture of Mortgage was made between the Vendor of the one part and the First Mortgagee and John Stuck Barnes (since deceased) of the second part for securing the sum of One thousand four hundred pounds and interest at Five pounds per centum per annum

23 September 1876

An Indenture of Further Charge was made between the Vendor of the one part and the First Mortgagee and the said John Stuck Barnes of the other part for securing the sum of Seven hundred pounds and interest at Five pounds per centum per annum

4 January 1879

Memorandum of Further Charge under the hand of the Vendor for securing the further sum of Three hundred pounds and interest at Five pounds per centum lent and advanced by the First Mortgagee and the said John Stuck Barnes

9 February 1887

Indenture of Transfer of the two last mentioned securities and the principal sum and interest thereby secured made between the First Mortgagee and the said John Stuck Barnes of the first part the Vendor of the second part and the Second Mortgagee of the third part

14 January 1890

An Indenture was made between John Green Chamberlain, late of Wivenhoe, but now of Colchester (the Vendor), James Thomas Craster, formerly of Chateau de la Touche but now Les Buttes Dinan, Cotes du Nord in the Republic of France, a Lieutenant Colonel in her Majesty’s Army, (the first Mortgagee) of the second part, Henry Goody of Colchester, Gentleman (the second Mortgagee) of the third part, and Mary Frances Brown of Wivenhoe, Widow (the Purchaser). The property was conveyed to Mary Frances Brown for the sum of £61.

The property was described as:

All that piece or parcel of Freehold Land situate in Wivenhoe aforesaid used as a garden or Shrubbery with the Warehouses and Buildings standing thereon on the South side of East Street in Wivenhoe aforesaid and opposite to the Messuage and premises formerly occupied by Philip Havens and now by the Purchaser and for many years occupied there with containing by estimation Two rods and a half abutting towards the South and West upon hereditaments belonging to George Last and having a circular frontage towards East Street aforesaid and Black Boy Hill towards the North and East

4 June 1903

Mary Frances Brown died on 20 August 1902 and her son Ernest Edward Brown inherited the property.  In 1903 he conveyed the property to his wife Edith Mary Brown.

19 February 1908

Edith Mary Brown deposited the title deeds as part of of a mortgage agreement between herself and the Trustees of the Loyal Egerton-Green Lodge Number 7462 of the Independent Order of Oddfellows (Manchester Unity), Registered Friendly Society held at the Park Hotel, Wivenhoe

14 September 1914

An Indenture was made between Edith Mary Brown the Wife of Ernest Edward Brown of Wivenhoe, Grocer (the Mortgagor) and Charles Coppin, gardener, Frederick Payne, dairyman, and Herbert Day, labourer, all of Wivenhoe aforesaid, the present Trustees of the Loyal Egerton-Green Lodge Number 7462 of the Independent Order of Oddfellows (Manchester Unity), Registered Friendly Society held at the Park Hotel, Wivenhoe (the Mortgagees) of the other part.

This witnessed an agreement for the Mortgagees to pay the sum of Fifty pounds to the Mortgagor out of the Lodge funds and pay equal half yearly payments of Fifty pounds with interest on the 1st day of June and December in every year.

The property was again described as:

All that piece or parcel of Freehold Land situate in Wivenhoe aforesaid used as a garden or Shrubbery with the Warehouses and Buildings standing thereon on the South side of East Street in Wivenhoe aforesaid and opposite to the Messuage and premises formerly occupied by Philip Havens afterwards by Mary Francis Brown and now of lately in the occupation of the said Ernest Edward Brown and for many years occupied therewith containing by estimation Two rods and a half abutting towards the South and West upon hereditaments now or formerly belonging to George Last and having a circular frontage towards East Street aforesaid and Black Boy Hill towards the North and East as described in the Indenture dated 4 June 1903 and made between Ernest Edward Brown of the one part and the Mortgagee of the other part.

8 November 1914

Conveyance between Edith Mary Brown and her Mortgagees (the trustees of the Loyal Egerton-Green Lodge (as above – listed as Arthur Harlow Gould of Clifton Terrace, ships plater, Frederick Charles Payne of East Street, dairyman and Herbert Day, labourer) to Frederick Charles Payne and William Thomas Smith, accountant.

21 December 1949

Conveyance between Frederick Charles Payne to Horace Woodward of 70 Cavendish Avenue, Colchester

1967

An Abstract of the Title referring to the sale to Dorothy Bowes in January 1963 of two cottages in the respective occupations of Gladden and Payne [also contains references to Eliza Ann Polley (1895), Albert Edward Joseph Pittuck (1924), and Florence Pittuck, his widow who sold the property to Dorothy Bowes.

4 June 1967

Conveyance (with plan) by Dorothy May Bowes of Ballast Quay Farm to Mr Gordon Joseph and Mrs Beryl Kilgour of Hatfield, Herts of No 1 East Street ‘lately occupied by Gladden’.

24 June 1971

Conveyance (with plan) by Horace Woodward of 70 Cavendish Avenue, Colchester to Mr Gordon Joseph and Mrs Beryl Kilgour of a ‘Piece of land used as a garden ground with the garage erected thereon’ [which was conveyed to Woodward by Payne on 21 December 1949]

[Summary and transcribed deeds by Sue Glasspool 2011]

Downloads
This page was added on 06/07/2020.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *