The Falcon and Falcon Yard
A pub and a hotel dating back to the 15th century
High Street Project Team
Until 1973 these 3 units were all one building and had been a public house or a hotel as far back as records go.
The Falcon public house is documented as having a warehouse, brewery and a bowling green but not in living memory.
In 1918 it was situated between Little Wick, housing the Wivenhoe Urban District Council Office and St Mary’s Church. As was common at that time, rooms were set aside for hire as an auction room and as a meeting room for community activities. Meetings included: the Vestry, a friendly society, and the Wivenhoe Association against Housebreakers, as well as bankruptcy conferences.
Its proximity to the river meant in the late19c. and 20c. it was a popular hotel for visiting seamen.
The yard was used for congregating before parades. The parade to celebrate the Relief of Mafeking prepares to start from the Falcon Yard – see picture right. The portraits of Lord Roberts and Baden Powell can be seen on the banner.
It was closed in 1975 after approval had been given to demolish it in 1971, but it was preserved as a series of homes after a public outcry and intervention.
- Pub landlords of the Falcon between 1828 and 1937 https://pubshistory.com/EssexPubs/Wivenhoe/falcwiv.shtml
- The Falcon and Smuggling
- More photos and information about preservation of The Falcon